'66 283 V8, upper radiator hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new information...

At some point yesterday I got to looking at Dad's "new" '66 Cruiser and realized that it has molded hoses top AND bottom!!! These numbers might help~ try 20416 for the upper, and 20687 for the lower. This car's t-stat is a tiny bit different than that which I pictured above on my '65, but not by much. I hope to post pictures of the '66 shortly...

StudeDave '57
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
      I hope to post pictures of the '66 shortly...
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

At some point yesterday I got to looking at Dad's "new" '66 Cruiser and realized that it has molded hoses top AND bottom!!! These numbers might help~ try 20416 for the upper, and 20687 for the lower. This car's t-stat is a tiny bit different than that which I pictured above on my '65, but not by much. I hope to post pictures of the '66 shortly...

StudeDave '57
        I followed your advice re: the above Gates hose P/N's; NAPA crossed 'em over and with a bit of trimming, they fit my 1962 Lark with its 1963 Lark V8 radiator and Chevrolet 350 motor perfectly.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
          I followed your advice re: the above Gates hose P/N's; NAPA crossed 'em over and with a bit of trimming, they fit my 1962 Lark with its 1963 Lark V8 radiator and Chevrolet 350 motor perfectly.
          I am glad I was able to- enjoy the ride!!!!

StudeDave '57
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

I replaced the upper and lower hoses on Bill's car , with Gates hoses , , the problem that I found out latter was that the thermostat housing was replaced , and the outlet is not at a angle like the oem in the preivious post , the one installed on the car does not have a angle and the outlet is pointed streight ahead , therefore the hose he got SSI came in contact with the A/C belt , but the problem has been resolved and Bill is looking foward to many trouble free miles and can't wait for Southbend in 2012.
            Joseph Kastellec

Comment

'65 Cruiser~
              '66 Cruiser~
              Originally posted by G T Joe View Post
              the problem that I found out latter was that the thermostat housing was replaced , and the outlet is not at a angle like the oem in the preivious post , the one installed on the car does not have a angle and the outlet is pointed streight ahead
              This brings up an interesting point. Which of the above is 'correct'? I've had the '65 for just about 20 years now. It's engine was rebuilt back in '96 and the intake was changed. I do not recall what the t-stat housing looked like before the swap- so this is what I've been looking at since then. Is it right, or is Dad's "new" '66 right? It's got me scratchin' my head...

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

This brings up an interesting point. Which of the above is 'correct'? I've had the '65 for just about 20 years now. It's engine was rebuilt back in '96 and the intake was changed. I do not recall what the t-stat housing looked like before the swap- so this is what I've been looking at since then. Is it right, or is Dad's "new" '66 right? It's got me scratchin' my head...

StudeDave '57
                Dave: All the 1965/1966 Studebaker Shop Manual and Parts Book photographs and line art verify that the "above" photo (green engine room; your 1965 Cruiser) has the OEM water outlet (thermostat housing) on it.

All 1965 and 1966 V8s are shown as having the same water outlet part number, too.

(However, see Post #27, as noted below.) BP
                Last edited by BobPalma; 11-14-2011, 10:32 AM.
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Everyone please re-read my post above - After C-532082 the thermostat housing and upper hose changed. This occured after the Shop Manual and Parts Catalogs were released so would not be so noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                    Everyone please re-read my post above - After C-532082 the thermostat housing and upper hose changed. This occured after the Shop Manual and Parts Catalogs were released so would not be so noted.
                    The 1974 Chevelle 350 in my 1962 Lark has the 'late' 1966 Stude style angled T stat housing.
                    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Dave: All the 1965/1966 Studebaker Shop Manual and Parts Book photographs and line art verify that the "above" photo (green engine room; your 1965 Cruiser) has the OEM water outlet (thermostat housing) on it.
                      Now why didn't I think of looking there- d'uh!!! Yet another example of me posting before being W I D E awake~ sorry 'bout that!!!

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                      I missed that post somehow. Sorry once again!!!
                      Well, at least now we have pictures, right?

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment