Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1957 Silver Hawk 289 V8 Engine Paint Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: 1957 Silver Hawk 289 V8 Engine Paint Colors

I have been told the original engine paint color on my '57 Silver Hawk with 289 V8 - and virtually all other '50s Studebakers - should be entirely turquoise (with the exception of the air filter assembly, etc.); however, I cannot find that base color on it anywhere. The engine appears to be original to the car and does not appear to have ever been removed. The colors I am finding on it are gold (on the block, heads, intake, etc.) with black on the valve covers, air filter assembly, and other engine bolt-ons. Those colors appear to be original.
    The engine number is P55037. An image showing this number and some of the gold is attached below. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files

Turquoise block with black valve covers is what is correct. Your engine was repainted the wrong color at some point in its life.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
      Turquoise block with black valve covers is what is correct. Your engine was repainted the wrong color at some point in its life.
      Thought that would be the answer; however, as a point of interest, on page five of PD1014 of the '57 Hawk brochure, the Sweepstakes 289 engine illustrated shows an engine block color of gold. I suppose that could be where the inspiration came from for whoever painted it previously?

Comment

More than once I have seen brochures that did not depict some details accurately. I believe it had to do with the fact that the brochures were being produced before the new models were finalized.
        Originally posted by carussell View Post
        Thought that would be the answer; however, as a point of interest, on page five of PD1014 of the '57 Hawk brochure, the Sweepstakes 289 engine illustrated shows an engine block color of gold. I suppose that could be where the inspiration came from for whoever painted it previously?
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I have seen that on other products as well. I guess turquoise it is...

Comment

I believe Ford was using gold paint on some of their engines in the mid-1950s and 1960s, Oldsmobile in the mid-1960s to early-1970s, so perhaps that could be where the inspiration came from on this one as well (and maybe some left-over paint).
            Last edited by carussell; 10-27-2011, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Late '57 engines used the silver color that we usually associate with 1958-61 engines. Perhaps this was silver that became badly oil stained?

Comment

That's a thought, but it really does appear to be gold.

Comment

Your engine number, P55037, is fairly late in the 1957 model year. It may have been silver to start with. I do not know if the silver, or turquoise, changed to gold or the engine was repainted.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Your engine number, P55037, is fairly late in the 1957 model year. It may have been silver to start with. I do not know if the silver, or turquoise, changed to gold or the engine was repainted.
                    I have seen some silver paints oxidize and perhaps the oxidation mixed with oil could give a gold appearance. I do not believe this engine has been pulled and repainted; the gold is showing some age. It is only showing ~55,000 miles (not that miles on the speedo mean much); image attached. I am attaching more images of the gold on two more locations. Thanks again for your assistance.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have been told the original engine paint color on my '57 Silver Hawk with 289 V8 - and virtually all other '50s Studebakers - should be entirely turquoise (with the exception of the air filter assembly, etc.); however, I cannot find that base color on it anywhere. The engine appears to be original to the car and does not appear to have ever been removed. The colors I am finding on it are gold (on the block, heads, intake, etc.) with black on the valve covers, air filter assembly, and other engine bolt-ons. Those colors appear to be original.
                      The engine number is P55037. An image showing this number and some of the gold is attached below. Thank you in advance.
                      At the risk of sounding like a broken record……

The ONLY positive way to find out what gets painted what on a ’57 Hawk is to get yourself a copy of the actual Studebaker Engineering Paint Production Book, P-5700
                      …a copy of which is obtainable from the SNM Archives.

Believe it or not, it even specifies the paint "inside" your engine!!!

Good luck!!!
                      Last edited by Welcome; 10-27-2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                        At the risk of sounding like a broken record……

The ONLY positive way to find out what gets painted what on a ’57 Hawk is to get yourself a copy of the actual Studebaker Engineering Paint Production Book, P-5700
                        …a copy of which is obtainable from the SNM Archives.

Believe it or not, it even specifies the paint "inside" your engine!!!

Good luck!!!
                        Yes. I understand this will cover standard paint production specifications. What I am interested in is, "were there possibly any special work requests by engineering - in regard to engine paint - where a color different than the standard production colors of 1957 turquoise and 1958 silver was used". I have seen special tests or work requests implemented by engineering on many manufacturing lines; many of these test runs are allowed to make it to the field if no adverse affects are discovered. Since there was a change from turquoise to silver between 1957 and 1958, it stands to reason that other colors may have been experimented with before settling on a change to silver. It's a legitimate question.

Comment

Yes. I understand this will cover standard paint production specifications. What I am interested in is, "were there possibly any special work requests by engineering - in regard to engine paint - where a color different than the standard production colors of 1957 turquoise and 1958 silver was used". I have seen special tests or work requests implemented by engineering on many manufacturing lines; many of these test runs are allowed to make it to the field if no adverse affects are discovered. Since there was a change from turquoise to silver between 1957 and 1958, it stands to reason that other colors may have been experimented with before settling on a change to silver. It's a legitimate question.
                          Are there any special notations on your build sheet indicating engine color, a side trip to the Engineering Dept. or some other deviation?
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            Are there any special notations on your build sheet indicating engine color, a side trip to the Engineering Dept. or some other deviation?
                            The quick answer is I do not know. I have not yet acquired the build sheet, but will be doing so very soon. Honestly, I did not know they were available until a few days ago. Once again, this is my first Studebaker project. What I was questioning was more general that just my one application. Paint changes and problems on engines have been noted in the "Lamberti papers"; one particular instance in #27 comes to mind at this time; however, these papers are from the '60s and I am looking at '57/'58 time-frame. Surely similar papers exist for those years as well and may contain some clues on paint.

Comment

That Intake Manifold Pic near the Carb. really does look at lot like many well used Silver '60 Lark Engines I have seen.
                              Without the camera and flash, does the actual Color look any more like Silver?

My own personal opinion is that there never was a Serial Number or date break when the Silver Engines started to be installed in the late '57 cars, so there was no "change" at all. I believe it is as simple as they ran out of '57 Engines and installed some of the new '58's being prepared for the '58 year model changeover in July/Aug. of 1957.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X