Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Reluctant Woodruff key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reluctant Woodruff key

I pulled the timing gear off the front of the camshaft without any trouble, but now the Woodruff key doesn't want to come out of the groove on the camshaft. I'm afraid to get too forceful with it, so does anybody have any suggestions or tricks I should use here?

Jim Beckman
    1951 Commander Starlight

Often times I've found if you use a punch at one end of the key and strike it downward with a hammer, the opposite end of the key will lift up. Any damage from the punch can be removed with a file and if the key is too bad for that, you better spend two bits for a new one.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jim Beckman

I pulled the timing gear off the front of the camshaft without any trouble, but now the Woodruff key doesn't want to come out of the groove on the camshaft. I'm afraid to get too forceful with it, so does anybody have any suggestions or tricks I should use here?

Jim Beckman
      1951 Commander Starlight
      Jim, tap one end with a brass drift and hammer. When the other end pops up, get up under it with either a smaller brass drift or a small screwdriver to continue tapping it up.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

OK, I got it out. I had to use a small cold chisel to get
        a good enough grip on it after I popped one end up, so the
        key needs to be replaced, but I guess that won't break the
        bank.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Jim Beckman
        Leonardo, NJ
        1951 Commander Starlight

Comment

I've also sanded keys a small amount on the sides, using 220 grit wet-or-dry. You definitely don't want to sand them so much they are loose, but a small amount of sanding on a tight key helps.

1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
          1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
          1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
          1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
          Robert Rausch

Comment

Working...
          X