Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

radial tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: radial tires

Yesterday I went to the local discount tire and asked about radial tires on old rims on a 58 hawk and they told me they never heard of any problems but called Coker Tire to be sure. They said it was fine as long as they weren't spoked tires. I've always heard this is a problem and if it is, how dangerous is it.

I have seen comments on both sides of this discussion. Some people say that they have used radials on stock Studebaker wheels for years with no problems and some have reported cracking around the bolt holes. It probably depends on how the wheels were used in the past and how hard you will use them. Of course, the narrow rim causes trouble for wider than stock tires.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Just went through this process of reading everything on the Forum about the subject.
      Finally went shopping at the local pick n pull and got 5 1986 LTD wheels.
      $6.99 each, pulled of the tires and had them checked for true at the local tire store I deal with $0.00, got them blasted $50.00, took them to the powder coaters $125.00
      and this morning I am going down to look at a set of Fat Whitewall American Classics 205 75R x 15 front and 215 76R x 15 rear $900.00.
      Hope fully this will make "Stella" roll down the highway safeley and in style??
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

It does matter which Studebaker wheels you are running. Most '58's would have 14 inch wheels if original.

The Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog says that 4.50, 5.00 and 5.50 inch wide wheels were used on '58's. Canadian 6 cylinder models had 4.50. There were both 14 and 15 inch Dia. used.

If you find that you have the 5.00 wide wheels or 5.50 you are within the minumum width wheel spec for the P205X75R15 TIRE, you would have to check the charts for the 14 inch ones.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

radial tires

Stella does have 14" tires. I know it's an old subject but what newer rims should I be looking for at the scrap yard? I'd like to stay with 14's.

Comment

They would have to come from a '57 to ? Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth or Ford.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
            X