64 OHV 6 cylinder pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 64 OHV 6 cylinder pistons

The 64 OHV 6 cylinder pistons were changed a little bit from the 61-63 pistons; I believe the wrist pin was put off center. Does anybody know how much of an improvement, or advantage, this was over the previous pistons (61-63)? I'm rebuilding a 64 six cyl, and both are available to me. And if I use the 64 pistons, does anybody know the orientation of the off-center wrist pin to the block? -- thanks

Wouldn't they have "forward"> marks on the top of the Pistons that would orient the Pins correctly?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The '64 OHV 6 piston rings are different from the '63 and earlier........one or more of the rings are a different thickness IIRC. Make sure you have a set available before you commit to using the '64 style pistons.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Hi Leon,

If you give me your e-mail, I can send you the scans of the shop manual. There's 1 page and a half about the subject. Basically, the notch of the piston must be towards the front of the engine. This makes me wonder if I shoudn't have used 1964 pistons on my 1963 engine as the connecting rods are the same.
        Have a nice day.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
          /Cut/I'm rebuilding a 64 six cyl, and both are available to me./Cut/
          I would be interested to know WHERE and how long ago, you found those '64 OHV 6 Pistons, as they are no longer available at all Studebaker Vendors that I know of.

Rings are no problem, just different than anything else.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Set of NOS pistons on ebay.
            Item number 321055930163
            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I have some notes somewhere that offsetting the wrist pins reduces the tendency of piston slap..
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

The 1964 pistons are an improvement over the 1961-63 pistons. The pistons are lighter and they use thinner rings (reduces 'ring flutter'). I believe the piston skirt and possibly the wrist pin position was changed, but they have the same deck height. So they can be used as direct replacements in the 1961-63 OHV 6's. Back when my dad rebuilt engines he always recommended the 1964 pistons. I still have a set in .040" Best of luck to you.

Joe
                sigpic

1962 Daytona
                1964 Cruiser
                And a few others

Comment

IIRC, '64's used "slipper skirt" pistons, and previous engines had full-skirt pistons. I know I have torn down '64's that were built that way.
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                  X