Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

289 crank snout length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 crank snout length

I've seen mention of a short snout and a long snout on the 289 cranks with the long snouts supposedly used by the later 289s. What is the difference in lengths between the short and long? I have a lead on a 289 crank and bearings that has been turned 10 under, but when I ask the short or long snout question the reply comes back as 3-1/2". Is this short or long???
    \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
    \'64 Daytona HT

That is approximately the long-snout dimension. Short-snout dimension is about 2 3/4"

This is all discussed with copies of the appropriate Studebaker Service Bulletins in the December 2011 Turning Wheels Co-Operator. (Not the November issue now being mailed, but December, which you'll have around Thanksgiving here in the 'states.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Bob !!
      \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
      \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Looking forward to that issue. I have a SASCO long snout crank for a 259, still in the box. Decided to go with original turned 10 thou under. My engine builder was retired with a plaque thanking him for building 20,000 engines. I'm thanking him, too. The engine build was one of the few things that didn't need a Do-Over! Thank God for "old" people (lol).
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
          Looking forward to that issue. I have a SASCO long snout crank for a 259, still in the box. Decided to go with original turned 10 thou under. My engine builder was retired with a plaque thanking him for building 20,000 engines. I'm thanking him, too. The engine build was one of the few things that didn't need a Do-Over! Thank God for "old" people (lol).
          Dave, if you would be so kind as to specify a minimum age for your definition of "old," some of us might be flattered. <GGG> BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Don't worry Bob! you're in that "OLD" group! LOL

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
              Don't worry Bob! you're in that "OLD" group! LOL Jim
              Hey, as long as I get the Senior Coffee at the Brownsburg McDonalds' for 39 cents, Jim, I'm a happy camper. <GGG> BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

long snout

I was wondering if they made long snout 259 crankshafts. I really like that Avanti vibration dampner, and you have to have the long snout to install one of those.

Comment

All of the full flow Blocks/Engines (late '62 to '64) have the long nose crank.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I only used "OLD" to differentiate from all the "New" guys at the machine shop from whence my guy retired. The block, crank, heads, etc. were sent in to be tanked and fluxed and machined. They did OK, but they tried to install the con rods and pistons and didn't know that Stude con rods are specific to each side of the engine. The oil passages and everything else Stude specific were things they just don't deal with on the newer engines. My "OLD" guy undid their work and did it right. He also rebuilt my Ross steering box....and he is so humble. That's the kind of old guy I wan't to grow up to be
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                    X