Optional R3 Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Optional R3 Parts

Is there a list of the optional R3 parts beyond what's in the Dec '63 Avanti parts book; or pehaps a factory drawing? I'm interested in things like the fluid reservoir for the supercharger. There was also an electric fuel pump and pressure regulator.
    Mike

Where did you hear of these items?
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Recently, someone on one of the Stude newsgroups I frequent mentioned a list of R3 options that included the reservoir. I'm not sure where that was...
      The electric fuel pump is mentioned in an old "Hot Rod" article along with some other goodies, like a supercharger held together with studs and nuts. I think the reservoir and fuel presure regulator were on the Egbert Avanti. I've seen pictures of the regulator on R3's at Bonneville. It's the Paxton regulator, maybe modified. There is a special bracket.
      Mike

Comment

The Bonneville cars did have reservoirs for the superchargers, but they also had some internal changes to the superchargers to pump the fluid out to the reservoir and back into the supercharger body. The extra capacity acted as a heat sink keeping the intake charge cooler. I don't believe these were ever offered as options for R3 cars by Studebaker. There was also a fluid cooler setup that used an electric pump and a small heat exchanger pulling fluid out and returning it through the dipstick offered by Paxton.

Are you looking for factory options, or hop-up aftermarket items?
        Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

The parts I'm interested in must have been official Stude options as they were used on the "stock" speed record Avanti's. The remotely adjustable carb might be on this list, too.
          The "list" may have been made just to assign factory part #'s to special parts used on the speed record cars.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            The parts I'm interested in must have been official Stude options as they were used on the "stock" speed record Avanti's.

The remotely adjustable carb might be on this list, too.
            The "list" may have been made just to assign factory part #'s to special parts used on the speed record cars.
            Mike
            Under hood dwarfs???
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              Under hood dwarfs???
              That might have been simpler. There are a few pictures of the "Carbumeter" from Egbert's Avanti, along with the reservoir, at Bob Johnstone's site.
              Mike

Comment

Of all the special parts which showed up on the Bonneville R3 cars, the only one which showed up in the Engineering Parts List is the fuel pump. It appears in the '63R-Q list as "Aux. Fuel Pump Assy.-Spec. Orders (Elect.)". My copy of the '64R-Q book is currently MIA, but I don't recall any additional parts being listed. It should be noted that while the electric fuel pump was listed in the Parts List, none of the related parts were. Things like the mounting bracket, fuel lines, pressure regulator, wiring harness and even the adaptation drawing don't show up. The Carb U Meter and supercharger cooling setup don't either, nor does an altered supercharger which would have the internal changes required to use the cooler. Also, altho the Bonneville R3 Larks (and possibly the Hawk) had the auxillary electric pump, it does not show up in either the 1964 Lark/Hawk Parts List at all. My collection of Sales Letters is incomplete so it's possible that there may be mention of some of these parts there. Paxton wasn't beyond fudging some other non stock details on the B'ville cars- the air intake system used on the Larks didn't conform to the setup released for production and used on the lone production R3 Commander.
                R2Andrea

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Recently, someone on one of the Stude newsgroups I frequent mentioned a list of R3 options that included the reservoir. I'm not sure where that was...
                  The electric fuel pump is mentioned in an old "Hot Rod" article along with some other goodies, like a supercharger held together with studs and nuts. I think the reservoir and fuel presure regulator were on the Egbert Avanti. I've seen pictures of the regulator on R3's at Bonneville. It's the Paxton regulator, maybe modified. There is a special bracket.
                  Mike
                  The thread you are refering to may be this one. Starting w post 67. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...pper..../page2
                  R2Andrea

Comment

That was it, Andy. Thanks.
                    The Egbert Avanti pictures are @:
                    http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...0/63R4130.html .

Comment

Lots of items on the Bonneville cars were never offered for production including the larger fuel tanks, oil supercharger fluid tanks, the removed x bracing on the convertible, the different fuel system venting, the depressed upper A arm mounts, and so on. Not saying you can't duplicate them, but you won't find part numbers to order them by, even if someone had them and knew what they were.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
                        Lots of items on the Bonneville cars were never offered for production including the larger fuel tanks, oil supercharger fluid tanks, the removed x bracing on the convertible, the different fuel system venting, the depressed upper A arm mounts, and so on. Not saying you can't duplicate them, but you won't find part numbers to order them by, even if someone had them and knew what they were.
                        Jim,
                        The lowered upper A-arm mounting is defined by a drawing and part numbers. There were new spindles and lower knuckle that went with this and there were drawings. All of this was aimed at increasing the camber change due to body roll and thereby keep the outer wheel more upright in a turn to improve handling.

By the way I have the parts to build one of the larger fuel tanks for a Hawk.
                        David L

Comment

As a follow up to post #8 I went back and did some checking. The 63R Parts List is the most recent one ( there is no 64R Parts List) and was the one updated with the "'64" parts. It's my copy of the 62R Parts List that's MIA. I do have a list of part numbers which were issued by engineering which never made it to the Parts List. Included are the other parts related to the auxillary fuel pump setup.
                          Last edited by R2Andrea; 11-05-2011, 09:41 PM.
                          R2Andrea

Comment

Question for the Avanti crowd.....

I have seen R3 air bonnets in raw finish, polished finish, and a crinkled black finish.

What is the 'correct' finish for an R3 bonnet, as it came from the factory?
                            Jeff
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by R2Andy View Post
                              As a follow up to post #8 I went back and did some checking. The 63R Parts List is the most recent one ( there is no 64R Parts List) and was the one updated with the "'64" parts. It's my copy of the 62R Parts List that's MIA. I do have a list of part numbers which were issued by engineering which never made it to the Parts List. Included are the other parts related to the auxillary fuel pump setup.
                              By "63R Parts List", do you mean the Dec, '63 Avanti Parts Catalog, with the black cover? Does the aux electric fuel pump, 1560608, appear in there somewhere? I can't find it.
                              How long is the list of part #'s from engineering? Is there any chance that there are drawings associated with the #'s that have more information? I'm interested in modifications to the fuel pressure regulator. Also what type mechanical pump was used with the electric.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X