Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Gas smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Gas smell

Every time I put gas in the tank of my '56 Sky Hawk, it smells of gas until I drive it around for a while. I've been told that it's a bad gasket on the tank, and also that the ethanol tends to make a problem. Any suggestions?
    peter lee

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
    Every time I put gas in the tank of my '56 Sky Hawk, it smells of gas until I drive it around for a while. I've been told that it's a bad gasket on the tank, and also that the ethanol tends to make a problem. Any suggestions?
    FWIW; Studebaker had a design inherent problem with the Fuel Tank Guage Sending Unit used on '56 C/K models. The soldered joint securing the tube to the Sending Unit would break through vibration and/or strain allowing gas fumes and/or liquid to escape. Studebaker, through issuing a Service Bulletin, did a partial correction by changing the gas tank mounting design on the right side. Later, they added a "support bracket" around the tube's fitting. Eventually they redesigned the complete Sending Unit by eliminating the tube from being a part of it for future model years.

Now for a little good news!!! Very recently a company began building new Fuel Tank Sending Units for use on the '56 C/K models incorporating a fuel pick-up tube "support bracket."

PM me for more info if you are interested in getting one of those new Units.
    Last edited by Welcome; 10-09-2011, 07:24 AM.

Comment

After you top off with fuel, remove the inspection cover above the sending unit in the trunk. A quick look should reveal the problem. It could be as simple as loose mount screws, wrong screws or gsasket leak. If the gas guage is working properly I would simply look for ways to stop the leak, since the sender is quite expensive.

Comment

I had a similar problem on a 59 Lark. It turned out to be one screw on the sender that needed some permatex. Problem solved. Simple but bugged me for months wondering where the gas smell was coming from.

Comment

"Now for a little good news!!! Very recently a company began building new Fuel Tank Sending Units for use on the '56 C/K models incorporating a fuel pick-up tube "support bracket."

PM me for more info if you are interested in getting one of those new Units."

Welcome, why not post that info for us all and for future searches on this forum
          thanks
          1947 M5 under restoration
          a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
            >>>Welcome, why not post that info for us all and for future searches on this forum thanks
            The "Fuel Tank Sending Unit" story (with contact info) begins on page 5 of the Oct. 2011 issue of our Club's fine TURNING WHEELS magazine. Do enjoy!!!

Comment

I would guess it is leaking at the sender. That was the problem on my 53. It only happened if the tank was full on mine.

Denny L

Comment

On my 55 and 56 Presidents I replaced the fuel filler hoses. Had to remove the tanks. The hose is available at parts stores. [NAPA]
                On both cars the original hoses had softened/cracked and leaked.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I think (& hope) my mechanic found the problem It's a cracked tube in the sender. Also, the float bowl sinks, so the gauge never shows full. As a new part isn't availble from SI, they're going to solder the crack and put in a generic plastic float bowl.
                  peter lee

Comment

This problem was hashed out on the 56J only site.
                    http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/
                    Robert Kapteyn

Comment

56j

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...p/message/6761

Comment

Sending unit

LOR="blue"]FWIW; Studebaker had a design inherent problem with the Fuel Tank Guage Sending Unit used on '56 C/K models. The soldered joint securing the tube to the Sending Unit would break through vibration and/or strain allowing gas fumes and/or liquid to escape. Studebaker, through issuing a Service Bulletin, did a partial correction by changing the gas tank mounting design on the right side. Later, they added a "support bracket" around the tube's fitting. Eventually they redesigned the complete Sending Unit by eliminating the tube from being a part of it for future model years.

Now for a little good news!!! Very recently a company began building new Fuel Tank Sending Units for use on the '56 C/K models incorporating a fuel pick-up tube "support bracket."

PM me for more info if you are interested in getting one of those new Units.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I had the sending unit soldered, and am still having the same problem wit gas collecting around it. I was told by Stude-Int'l that they don't have it and no one is making it. If you know of a company that is, please let me know.
                        peter lee

Comment

Working...
                        X