66 Cruser V/8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 66 Cruser V/8

What oil filter # can I use? I want to bring in tyhe old Cruser for a heart transplant to my 65 Comander and I have no oil in the 66 it has a broken filter that has been damaged some how some time over the last few years while in storage. Evan
    Evan Severson

Originally posted by 57studesilverhawk View Post
    What oil filter # can I use? I want to bring in tyhe old Cruser for a heart transplant to my 65 Comander and I have no oil in the 66 it has a broken filter that has been damaged some how some time over the last few years while in storage. Evan
    Evan: A 1966 283 V-8 would have had a canister-type filter on the lower left corner of the engine block; not a spin-on filter as we know it (and as Chevy went to for that engine in 1968).

Do you have the canister in which the cartridge is placed, or is the whole assembly missing or broken or ??? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If you need the filter element that goes inside the canister, the AC Delco part# is PF-141
      Be sure to remove the old o-ring seal that sometimes get stuck in the block cavity and use the new one..
      If the engine has an spin-on oil filter adapter, you will have to find out what oil filter the adapter uses.
      Just take the old filter with you to your auto parts supplier.
      George King
      Grants Pass, Oregon
      64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

We just towed it in to the shop and removed the old broken spin on pot mettle holder. How this got broken while sitting is beyound me, as the filter was loose, now I know why and all that oil on the ground. I will need a new adaptor it is 4" across and a rubber gasket, then the lage bolt goes though to the smaller pot mettel piece that bolts to the engine with two bolts.
        Evan Severson

Comment

Evan, sounds like you need it all. In that case, better to go to a Chevy. Parts website and find the adapter to a real "spin-on" Filter for a '55 to at least '65 Chevrolet, Chevelle, Impala etc I believe. Some actually use a often "on sale" very common Ford Filter.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Just orderd on from NapaMr. Gasket 1270 and I will get it tomorrow. Thanks guys. Evan
            Evan Severson

Comment

I don't know about now but years ago NAPA used to sell those aluminium adapter to convert to a spin on.
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

This oil filter Adapter Kit is a complete bolt up, no canister, just spin on a varity of filters AC Delco PF 25- 30 - 1218 , just to name a few etc.
                Evan Severson

Comment

Working...
                X