3-speed O.D. trans I.D. and problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 3-speed O.D. trans I.D. and problem

I'm helping my buddy Bob restore his dad's '49 3/4 ton Studey truck. As I have posted previously, he had the 6-cyl flathead rebuilt by an acclaimed Stude mechanic, and then that engine was stolen out of his garage by (we think) metal thieves. It was sitting on one of my engine stands which got taken also. I can't imagine anyone stealing that engine for any other reason than to sell it for scrap. I doubt they even knew what it was.

Anyway, we are in the process of re-evaluating the restoration. So Bob now want's to go with a Stude V8 and a 3-speed OD trans. So I found a 3-speed OD trans on Craigslist and went to look at it. The seller ended up giving it to me after we pulled the top plate and discovered 1st gear had a broken tooth. Other than that, it does look good.

Anyway, that's the back story on this trans. Stamped next to the top cover plate is C312-2. I think that's what it is, it could also be C31242 with the top and bottom of the 4 missing.

Cast onto the side of the trans is T86E - 1A

The OD unit has R10B - 1L cast onto the side. The bellhousing has 527903 cast onto it around the flange.

Can anybody tell me what we've got here? The trans has a floor shift bolted onto the rear of it, and it was in a '49 Stude 1/2 ton truck, but the guy had already sold the engine.

ALSO... any clues on where I can come up with a good 1st gear for this trans?
    All the other gears looks good, trans had oil in it and no rust to speak of.

Besides the OD trans, he also gave me the flywheel and pressure plate, and like I say the bellhousing was there too. Also the trans mount.

I've rebuilt Chevy 3 and 4 speed trannys before, so this isn't completely uncharted territory to me, I don't think, unless Stude put some unusual engineering into their trannys.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a manual for this trans? Thanks!
    1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
    1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
    Robert Rausch

The Borg-Warner T86 in several minor variants, was the most common overdrive used behind Stude V8s. As you say, there's nothing unusual with them, as Borg-Warner built and sold millions to other OEMs as well as Studebaker.

The T86 is covered in most Studebaker Shop Manuals. As far as a new low-reverse sliding gear, there should be plenty of them out there. The T86s are still plenty thick on the ground and you can usually pick up the complete used transmission for what eBay sellers think a NOS gear is worth.

As you discovered from your initial inspection, the low-reverse gear takes most of the beating. They are usually worn and chipped on the leading edge, but as long as there are no missing teeth, they can usually be rehabbed. I polish out the largest nicks with an air grinder. Also, watch for a bad synchro on second gear.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack. Any idea of what year shop manual I should be looking for?
      1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
      1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
      Robert Rausch

Comment

IIRC, Studebaker used the T86 in some version from '49 - 66. Maybe even earlier behind the Commander 6-cyl, but I don't work with those.

In your parts search, just don't get excited and grab up any T96 by mistake. Side-by-side, it is easy to tell the difference. By long distance or when the usual Stude inch of greasy dirt is covering the cast numerology, mistakes have been made.

Also, if you are going to rebuild anyway, the T85 and T89s are much better, stronger transmissions and often cost the same to buy used or to rebuild.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Easy way to tell the difference between trans models, T-86 has a 6 bolt top cover, T-96 has a 4 bolt cover. this trans was used in Champions and Lark 6s. T-85 is a heavy duty 3 speed trans, this is the one they modified and made the T-10 4 speed out of, it has a side cover with the shift levers/ shafts going thru it.

Comment

The stamped number is Borg-Warner's build date identification. The C represents the month (March), the first one or two numbers represent the day of the month (31st), and the last number before the dash is the year of manufacture (2). The number after the dash is the work shift.
            This is a 1952 transmission, not 1962 because it has a short shaft, and because it was bolted to an early V8 bell housing. Also, the R10B-1L overdrive unit is shown as 1951-53 models in the Republic Gear catalog.
            "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Working...
            X