No announcement yet.

one last wheel question.. I promise!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: one last wheel question.. I promise!!!!

ok guys , thanks for the help.

i think i have found a site that should solve my problems......(i am not affiliated with them, or shilling for them, etc)
    i found a company called wheelvintiques in hemmings... they have a lot of options.
    i see they have the 'Ford 15x6 ' wheel with the 5 x4.5 bolt pattern. (I know i have to use larger lugnuts)
    you can order them with the "dog dish cover" snap reatiners already installled.. and already powdercoated in your desired color.
    *****since i am a lousy mechanic (probably have no buisness owning this old Stude.. but its sooo cool!).. i think it would be easier, and in the long run, cheaper for me to by these rims.
    question: they have rims from the 50's thru present, etc. i know the mid / late 80's ford full size RWD are the most reccommended replacement for the stock studes.
    what size backspace (or what is the proper backspacing on these 80's ford 15x6 wheels?)
    they have a lot of options... i am easily confused... and frankly, don't know what i am talking about.

so... to sum up.. if i were ordering a set of 15x6 reconditioned ford rims with 5x4.5 bolt pattern... and paln to use
    205/ 75/15, or 215/75/15 tires..... what size backspace am i looking for.

thanks again for putting up with me.!

Rick

I belive you want 4.5" backspace.

Comment

Just a heads up before you order. The nubs for dog dish hubcaps on most Ford and GM style wheels (including Wheel Vintiques re pops) will only work with 10 1/2" dog dish caps. Studes caps are closer to 10" and Mopar caps are smaller yet. Without modification, none of the Ford, GM or Chrysler wheels will hold your Stude dog dish caps. The Mopars are your best shot because they have a smaller center that you can add material to, bringing them up to the Stude size. The 10 1/2" centered wheels would be about impossible to make work with the Stude dog dish caps and look good.

Stude wheels have a lot of back spacing (3 1/2" back on a 4 1/2" wheel), so I'd look for as close to 4 inches of backspacing as possible on a 6" wheel. Depending on how many miles you plan on using the car per year or how hard you drive, maybe just stick with the Stude wheels. Good luck with your search.
      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Thanks!

thwarted again! nothing is ever as easy as i think.. but i guess if i wanted easy i would have purchased a mustang where i could just order stuff out of the catalog. i like the idea of the hunt of the unusual !!

Soooo... hypothetically, if i put 205 75 15 on my skinny stude original wheels.... and i drive like the responsible dad that i am and am not using this vehicle often... I might be safe with my stock wheels?

Comment

Mt 62 GT has 215 70R 15 in place of the original 670 15. The tall and wider tires do put more strain on the driver to turn at slow speeds. Also the 215 is about 10% more circumference which means doing the recalculating on your speedometer. But they too look so cooool!

Comment

Soooo... hypothetically, if i put 205 75 15 on my skinny stude original wheels.... and i drive like the responsible dad that i am and am not using this vehicle often... I might be safe with my stock wheels?
            Yes.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

... And no "death crack" of the rim?
              do the rims start to delevop cracks whereas an observant driver could ascertain? .. or total death explosion of the entire rim? not be be a smart A$$.. but i am just taking the kids to the DQ every once in the while.

Comment

picture: these seem custom???

what about these ?? guess it depends on the clip location. i suspect i could fab this set up 'myself"?
                Attached Files

Comment

using a 15x 6" wheel with a 4" back space (Ford Ltd, Marquis or Crown Vic 85-89ish) will move your 205 75 x15 tire & wheel inboard 1/4" and outboard 3/4". Or that is what happened on my C/K, as it had 4 1/4" backspace to start with and a 5" rim.
                  Good Roads
                  & Good Luck
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

My backspace measurements were same as Woodysrods. Stock 5" Stude wheels have 4.25" backspace, and OEM Ford & Mopar wheels with 4" backspace work just fine on a Stude.
                    Joe H

Comment

... And no "death crack" of the rim? do the rims start to delevop cracks whereas an observant driver could ascertain? .. or total death explosion of the entire rim? not be be a smart A$$.. but i am just taking the kids to the DQ every once in the while.
                      FWIW, if the rim starts to crack at the bead area, with a tubeless tire, it usually leaks down and shows plenty of warning. I've never seen one catastrophically fail, killing all aboard and innocent bystanders. Just stay with the 195 or 205/75R-15 tires.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                      X