problems removing rear drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: problems removing rear drums

I'm trying to remove the rear brake drums on my 51 champion but I'm having no luck getting them to budge. The car has been sitting for 48 years so the brakes are about as froze up as they can get. I do not have one of those brake drum puller things but probably going to get one. Does anybody have any tips for getting these off?

Get one of those things

Comment

You will not get them off without a puller that pulls on the studs. SI sells them, and some tool rental places carry them, as they were needed for many cars before the 1960s. Do not pull on the drums, or you'll be buying new drums.

There are literally dozens of past threads on this topic. You might try the search function and read some of the tricks that other people have used.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

On really badly stuck ones, I use a torch and heat the drum up, then tighten down the drum puller and "pop" it off. Be careful to not fully loosen or take off the axle nut, when the drum pops it can hurt you if it flies off!
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I seen a three arm puller on ebay that is an MPP brand. Is this a decent brand or one I should stay away from?

Comment

A 3-arm puller that I got from Amazon did the trick for me. It was inexpensive as well.
            Dave Nevin
            Corvallis, OR
            1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Yes
              Definitely take off the washer BUT re-install the nut so most threads are on.The plus of keeping the axle nut on is that it helps to keep the puller centered if it doesn't have a little centering pin & as mentioned will keep the drum from popping off in your face if it comes off at all ! It will also help to save the axle threads. Good luck! Did I say to soak it with PB Blaster first?

Comment

Any brand of the correct puller will do the job. The better quality ones will do the job more times and last longer.

And, whatever you do! DO NOT APPLY ANY LUBRICANT TO THE TAPERED AXLES WHEN RE-ASSEMBLING!

Assemble clean and dry.
                Last edited by rockne10; 09-08-2011, 07:42 PM.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by ronnie View Post
                  I seen a three arm puller on ebay that is an MPP brand. Is this a decent brand or one I should stay away from?
                  Stay away from a 3 arm puller!! Although many have had good results with them, by the time I got mine off (after renting a "no cost" 5 lug puller from Studebakerparts.com) I had warped the hubs and drum due to uneven pulling of the 3 lug puller. Save yourself the frustration and get the right 5 lug puller--it works like a charm whem following the instrctions.

Comment

If the wheels will turn the puller should work. It might still work if the wheels will not turn but you might damage something in the process. If your car was parked with the e-brake on you might have a problem there. At least you can safely assume the shoes, adjusters, and cylinders are trash so you don't have to be shy about it.

Comment

Studebaker Parts loans the puller for a refundable deposit. It cost $7 USPS each way, if it fits it ships both ways. It arrived at 10:00 AM and I pulled drums on two vehicles that hadn't been off in at least 45 years and had the puller in return mail at 2:00 PM the same day.

I too had tried 3 leg pullers with no luck. The Studebaker Parts option is painless and inexpensive and it works easy. But, follow their instructions regardless whose puller you use.... gain you pull from the fine thread of the lug nuts, not the big center bolt!! Get the tension up then hit the center bolt with your 5 pound mallet!

For the sake of protecting your private parts, place the axle nut on loosely before you begin the pull as the drums come off like a cannon!

Comment

Working...
                      X