Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rrausch
    replied
    I pleaded poverty the first time, when I was trying to buy just the chassis from him but he didn't want to budge. But I may give him a call and see if I can't get him to come down a little. My buddy would normally have been willing to pay $1,200 for the truck, but since he just put over two thousand into that 6 cyl flathead that got stolen, it kinda dried up his available truck-resto funds.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    I feel the same way too. Call the guy up. Go over with $1,000 in your pocket, plead poverty. Tell them that your kids will have to eat beans for a month to see what you can get him down to. Most times people will want $800 for something and know that they have to ask $1,200. Because some people just love to barter.

Leave a comment:

• Henry Votel
    replied
    So why don't you buy the whole truck and resell the parts you don't need? Were you thinking that an engine, tranny and mounting parts, etc. were going to cost a lot less than $1,200? I think you were lucky to locate one nearby for sale and available. I'm thinking you are a lucky guy!

Henry Votel
    Forest Lake, MN

Leave a comment:

• rrausch
    replied
    I found a '53 Stude 3/4 ton truck on Cl not too far from me, but the seller wanted $1,200 for it. It's a non-running parts truck, but everything is there. Engine looks good. I didn't want to buy the sheet metal--I just wanted the chassis. But he wouldn't sell just the chassis. Frustrating!

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    JMHO, but the V8 and overdrive make the Stude pickup a useful, drivable vehicle. Either/both 6-cyl and direct transmissions are both down on power and/or turning too high RPMs on the highway.

X2 on trying to find a V8 OD parts truck. It will be much less expensive than buying it a piece at a time. FWIW, if your friend's budget allows it, I could build him a truck 259" with T85 overdrive and throw in a radiator. PM me if he's interested.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    It would be worth the investment to buy a V8 parts truck, as there are quite a few items that are different between the 6 and V8. You will, of course, need a V8 clutch assembly and bell housing. Besides the motor mounts, the clutch and transmission linkage is different. The drive shaft will be the wrong length. If the old engine was the smaller Champion 6, the radiator may be too small. There are a number of other differences that are shown in the parts book.

Leave a comment:

• rrausch
    started a topic Engine: Helping my buddy restore his dad's Studey Truck

Helping my buddy restore his dad's Studey Truck

Hi SDC. I'm trying to help my buddy Bob restore his dad's '50 Stude 3/4 ton truck.
    He had a very experienced Studebaker mechanic in Aurora, Mo. build a 6-cylinder flathead engine for him a couple of years ago. The man did a first-rate job. However it's heartbreaking to report that that engine, which was bolted onto my engine stand, was stolen out of Bob's garage about a month ago, we believe, by metal salvage thieves. There's been no word from the Sheriff's Dept, and my guess is that it's sitting in a metal salvage yard somewhere in S.W. Mo. or N.E. Arkansas or Okla, on it's way to be melted down.

So we are rethinking the restoration. And now Bob is thinking about going with a Stude 259 V-8. Can anyone tell me what, exactly, will be needed to bolt a 259 V8 into the truck. I have heard that normal Stude truck V-8 motormounts and truck exhausts are needed. Anything else? Bob wants to run a 3-speed OD trans behind it. He's not a rodder, so it won't get rough use.

Or is there a good replacement for the Stude 3/4 ton truck rear-end that will allow him to run the Stude split rims? He wants to be able to drive at 65 on the Interstate, and with the present rear-end, and no OD trans, I'm pretty sure he won't be able to do so. Thanks!
Working...
X