Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Electronic voltage regulator

Hi, Guys,

I've searched past posts on this and looked at Stan Gundry's book but have not found a definitive answer.

Is there an electronic voltage regulator that is a bolt-in replacement for the original Avanti VR? My car came with a modified (and melted) Chrysler HEI electronic ignition and a strange 2-pin regulator coupled to a plug-in unit (of undetermined purpose) bolted to the "tool shelf" on the firewall. Not sure what the proir owner was up to, honestly, but I have a new wiring harness with connections for a stock VR. I replaced the HEI unit (because the distributor has been modified to work with one), but I figure I'll use the wires I have instead of making stuff up.

I suppose I could just buy a stock VR, but the consensus seems to be that the electronics are more reliable and require less adjusting.

Thoughts? Opinions? Random musings?

Thanks,

Tom

Contact Jon Myer.........he has a direct bolt-on replacement heavy duty. And not expensive!
    Originally posted by tluz View Post
    Hi, Guys,

I've searched past posts on this and looked at Stan Gundry's book but have not found a definitive answer.

Is there an electronic voltage regulator that is a bolt-in replacement for the original Avanti VR? My car came with a modified (and melted) Chrysler HEI electronic ignition and a strange 2-pin regulator coupled to a plug-in unit (of undetermined purpose) bolted to the "tool shelf" on the firewall. Not sure what the proir owner was up to, honestly, but I have a new wiring harness with connections for a stock VR. I replaced the HEI unit (because the distributor has been modified to work with one), but I figure I'll use the wires I have instead of making stuff up.

I suppose I could just buy a stock VR, but the consensus seems to be that the electronics are more reliable and require less adjusting.

Thoughts? Opinions? Random musings?

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

IF you have your old VR, call Dave T-Bow, he can convert it to an electronic VR. I sent him mine, and it works great!

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks, Guys. The car did not come with anything resembling the original ignition (except the distributor housing), so it looks like Jon Myer is the source.

Comment

Look on Bob Johnstone's site and search the internet. Bob's site tells you what NAPA part number you can use and directions if you want to gut an original regulator and convert it to electronic. I also bought a marine grade one off of Ebay. I have done it on both of my Avantis and it is not that hard. Put a nice coat of black paint on the can and slap a Prestolite sticker from SI on it and it looks like a new unit.

Comment

If you don't have an original style regulator, I have one that works that I have not converted yet but did paint the can. I also have a new Standard Blue Streak one that is not electronic (no box). If you want either one let me know. $25 for the used one, $60 for the Standard Blue Streak.

Comment

Auto Zone has one and many other suppliers can hook you up with one. Wells VR 706. Bought the Wells on e bay for 'bout $11.00. I'm using a 68 Mopar 46 amp alternator on my 63 GT. I have used transistorized regulators on my Prestolite but the alternator had problems. That's why I went with the Mopar. Cheap and lifetime guarantee and readily available. J and N Auto Electric Cleveland Ohio has transistorized for 7.95 plus shipping. Part number. 230-100001. made in China. American made point type $41.58 Both will hook up to the stock wiring. Ph. 1 800 366 7100. cheers jimmijim
              Last edited by jimmijim8; 09-07-2011, 07:44 AM.
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

The wells VR706 is not a direct bolt in for an Avanti. I know that it probably would work if you knew how to hook up and bypass some of the wiring but it is a 2 terminal regulator and an Avanti uses a 4 terminal. If you can use this regulator inside the can of the Avanti regulator it would be helpful if someone could explain how to wire it to work like they do with the NAPA regulator.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, guys. Sounds like the path of, er, least resistance (sorry) is an original type regulator. I'll get Myer's heavy-duty one.

Comment

Working...
                  X