53 Grill script install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 53 Grill script install question

I recently bought the script for my 53 grill bars, along with the clips.
    In fact 2 sets of clips in 2 different sizes.
    I think they're called barrel clips

One set seems too big, won't fit in grill bar , and just rattles around on script posts.

The other too small,which won't allow posts to slide in.

I thought the small ones might stretch, but for them to stretch enough to take the post, the holes in grill bar would have to be drilled larger than the head of the clip, so that won't work.

What am i doing wrong, can someone please tell me?

I suppose i could glue them, if thats the answer what is a good glue to use?

Thanks

John

Probably copper, nickle and chrome build up and closed the holes up somewhat. Do the pins fit into the holes without the barrel nuts? If so don't use the barrel nuts, use the small, flat clips that press onto the pins.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Hey Jerry

Yes the the chrome did fill holes somewhat, but i drilled those out already.
      I can get the pins in the holes now. I had an oem bar to get the hole dia, but even that dia. is too small, the new SI script pins are bigger than the old script, so holes needed to be bigger than stock as well.

Are the small flat clips a stude piece or just a jobber piece?

Comment

I believe my original scripts were installed with the flat clips. That's what I used when re-installing.
        The barrel clips were generally used when you had no access to the pins, ie. rear fenders and trunk script.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
          Hey Jerry
          Are the small flat clips a stude piece or just a jobber piece?
          I know you can get them here...... http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
          But you can probably also get them from SI.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I've been running around for 9 years with plastic 'clips' holding my scripts on. I took an old butter tub lid, cut it into half inch squares, punched holes in the middle of each one with an awl, and pushed them on the pins, It works a treat, and they are removable, and the cost is reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
              I've been running around for 9 years with plastic 'clips' holding my scripts on. I took an old butter tub lid, cut it into half inch squares, punched holes in the middle of each one with an awl, and pushed them on the pins, It works a treat, and they are removable, and the cost is reasonable.
              That's a great idea Tom.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                Thats a good idea, I think i can figure that out with some thought, and a computer program.

Thanks

Comment

Once you get the scripts fitting in the holes, put a very sparing amount of silicone RTV at the holes, slip the script on, tape it down flat if needed, and they will stick on like shiite to a blanket.

Comment

I have never used clips on these. I just used some adhesive/glue on the clips. They are usually a tight enough fit that they would probably stay on with nothing.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Are all of these tips applicable to the "V-8" emblem on the side as well, or are those too heavy?
                      '53 Commander
                      Art Morrison chassis
                      LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Problem with the emblems on the side of the fenders, you can't get access to the pins unless you remove the fender from the body.
                        Those emblems, and any script on the trunk lid require the barrel clips mentioned earlier.
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10,
                        '51 Commander Starlight,
                        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by ralt12 View Post
                          Are all of these tips applicable to the "V-8" emblem on the side as well, or are those too heavy?
                          New quarter panels did not come with the holes for these. I have always left them off. It is a cleaner look, easier to clean and most people do not notice them missing. The main reason for leaving them off is that Bob Bourke did not want anything there.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Stealing the thread a bit! Does anyone have a set of NOS grill scrips for my53 C/K grills. I thougth they would be something I could find easily on ebay. But not so easy?? Have been watching for over a year!
                            Pleaase PM me if you have some you might be interested in parting with.
                            Good Roads
                            Brian
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca
                            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                              Stealing the thread a bit! Does anyone have a set of NOS grill scrips for my53 C/K grills. I thougth they would be something I could find easily on ebay. But not so easy?? Have been watching for over a year!
                              Pleaase PM me if you have some you might be interested in parting with.
                              Good Roads
                              Brian
                              You should state if you want "Champion" or "Commander" for the left grille.
                              I will look when I get a chance.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X