Suspension Parts for a 50 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Suspension Parts for a 50 Champ

My mechanic is having difficulty locating an idler and pitman arms for a 50 champion, any suggestions where we can look?

I'll look and see if I have them.
    Bo

Comment

that is great, thanks
      j

Comment

I think your calling the auxiliary arm assy, the idler? It is (pn 526327, and I have it. From your note, I'm not sure if you need both the adaptor (pn 526291) and arm (pn 526288), or just the arm? I haven't found either of these, yet. This unit is rebuildable. Is there something wrong with yours that would prevent rebuilding it?
        Bo

Comment

Originally posted by bomarkham View Post
          I think your calling the auxiliary arm assy, the idler? It is (pn 526327, and I have it. From your note, I'm not sure if you need both the adaptor (pn 526291) and arm (pn 526288), or just the arm? I haven't found either of these, yet. This unit is rebuildable. Is there something wrong with yours that would prevent rebuilding it?
          Studebaker International suggested a rebuild when speaking with my mechanic, unfortunately too many other issues were found with this car I am believe I am not going to continue this rebuilding project. Thanks for you help
          Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jglossa View Post
            Studebaker International suggested a rebuild when speaking with my mechanic, unfortunately too many other issues were found with this car I am believe I am not going to continue this rebuilding project. Thanks for you help
            Jeff
            Supposedly the way to go with at least some of the 1950 Stude cars is to swap a Chevy S10 frame under it. The 1951+ vehicles have a much better suspension and parts are readily available to boot.
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
              1950 Stude cars is to swap a Chevy S10 frame under it.
              If you ever come across one of those State Police Chevy Caprices with the LT1, measure the track and wheelbase. Compare it to the '50 Champion...SURPRISE, SURPRISE!
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I have a complete front and rear suspension out of my Starlight Coupe. I also have the complete drivetrain. If you are interested in any of it PM me. I am street rodding mine, it's gonna be MOPAR powered!!
                Last edited by manest; 09-07-2011, 12:30 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have the complete front suspension from my 50 Starlight that I am rebuilding. I removed the original suspension and replaced it with a '78 Mustang II setup. It was easy to install and Speedway Motors has an 11" disc conversion kit that bolts on. New front springs from Summit Racing. I did not have to cut the frame rails to install, just trimmed the outside spring supports and slid the new one onto original frame rails, got it plumed, set wheelbase to factory 113" specs and welded it into place. If you have any interest in the original front suspension parts let me know.

Comment

Hopefully he has gotten his '50 back on the road by now, since this is a 4 year old thread. But.......in case he hasn't, or if anyone else is looking for original parts, thanks for posting it!
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Wow, it does pay to check dates on threads.
                      I wouldn't be so quick to give up due to steering or suspension rebuilds being needed, especially on a bullet nose.

I'm really surprised at how many people change the suspension, steering, and drivetrains on their Studebakers. I like my 50 Champion just the way Studebaker built it, and if I want more power I'd buy a 51 or newer Studebaker with a V8. Gotta love those Hawks.

Comment

I do have a complete 50 Champion front suspension and all steering components, including steering column if anyone is interested. It came from a 54,000 mile car that was parted out due to body and center frame rust. Also have the complete rear end including springs, 4:10 ratio, non O/D.
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                        X