Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

rear hub removal on hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear hub removal on hawk

i have a 1957 silverhawk i am trying to get the hubs off of. i got a puller and have heated it as much as i can and it still will not budge does anyone have any ideas?
    Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

I have heard the suggestion that you should tighten the puller as much as safety will allow, and then let it sit overnight (with nothing adjacent to it). Often the continued pull will pop off the hub after a few hours. Just make sure there's nothing valuable sitting next to it, as it will likely come off with some force!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

i left the bolt loose but on the axle and the puller on there just as tight as i could get it hopefully when i get home it will be loose if not i guess i will just have to take the car to the crusher.
      just kidding but i don't know what to do if i can't get it off.
      Kevin Phillips
      Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

Notice the size of the hammer I use.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
        59 3E truck
        58 Starlight
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

As John says, if all else fails drag out the BFH!

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I just finished the same project on my 56 Power Hawk, I had the hub puller on as tight as I could get it, for 7 days, using a 3 LB hand sledge hammer several times a day, I also used a torch to heat the hub, it still would not come off. Finally last night it popped loose, I was in the house and heard the pop out in the attached garage. I had the nut on backwards to protect the threads, had it not been there when it broke loose, by the sound of the pop when it came loose It might have gone through the wall.

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            51 Champion
            Phil
            Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            56 Power Hawk
            Phil Hendrickson
            Arnold, Missouri

Comment

You need to do the brake drum song, two or three raps on the dog bone, one hard one straight into the axle, repeat, wait for the pop. I've had to take a break from hammering, but never had one not come off in a half hour at most..

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
              63 Avanti R1
              63 Daytona convert
              63 Lark 2 door
              62 Lark 2 door
              60 Lark HT-60Hawk
              59 3E truck
              58 Starlight
              52 & 53 Starliner
              51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Tf you don'r have something "protecting the threads," you can end up with crushed threads as the cotter pin hole gets oval. Very few nuts can chenge pitch going down a screw thread, so you toss the axle! Don't ask me how I know.
                (It was on a Willys Bermida, IIRC.)
                (Forty years ago!

(Shouldn't forty be spelled fourty?)

Karl

Comment

Losen nut 1/2 turn reinstall carter pin and drive until you hear a loud pop. Drum is now lose. Helps if you make hard turns. Some time like with a puller it seems like it is not going to break lose but it will work every time.

Comment

Is this procedure the same for the Packard HAwk ???? Is the hub puller used for just the rear drums or do you need to use it on the front also ???? I'm going to be doing my brakes 2morrow and judging by everyones reply here this looks like its going to be loads of fun..........

Comment

Packard Hawks have the same rear hubs, the puller is used on the rear only, fronts come off like most other cars.

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Is this procedure the same for the Packard HAwk ???? Is the hub puller used for just the rear drums or do you need to use it on the front also ???? I'm going to be doing my brakes 2morrow and judging by everyones reply here this looks like its going to be loads of fun..........
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

There has been a lot of discussion on the removal of drums on the technical forum. Go to the technical forum and click on "search" and put in the words "brake drum".

Sometimes the front drums are hard to get off too, you need to back off the shoes. I always keep the wheel on the drum and that gives more leverage.

Leonard Shepherd
                        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

When I pulled the Larks rear hubs they didn't wnat to come off so I just put alot of tension on them and left them. They poped off in about an hour on each one. Good times!

Randy_G
                          1959 Lark Sedan
                          www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

Wow what fun..Took me 2 hours b4 the first drum gave up and popped off.Gave the other just 4 wacks with a hammer than pop...

I'm going to take them to a machine shop to get cut but, do most shops have the specifications for older cars. Mine's a 58 Packard Hawk. Would they have the measurements or is that in the repair maunual ???

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Wow what fun..Took me 2 hours b4 the first drum gave up and popped off.Gave the other just 4 wacks with a hammer than pop...

I'm going to take them to a machine shop to get cut but, do most shops have the specifications for older cars. Mine's a 58 Packard Hawk. Would they have the measurements or is that in the repair maunual ???
                              If they are rear drums from a V8 car, they should be 10" drums. The maximum allowable oversize is 10.060"

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X