Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

building a stude 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: building a stude 289

Hello to all. I have just recently purchased my first studebaker.A 56 1/2 ton truck with a 259 stude motor. I have decided to stay with the stude power plant and have picxked up a 60 289.I am looking for build information and suggestions. I would like to stay with period-vintage performance as much as makes sense.Especially on the bolt on parts. I have picked up a nice offy' four barrel manifold with a stromberg aeroquad carb that looks pretty cool. I am looking for info on the internals cam, pistons,ignition,head work any thing to give me a path to build a respectful street truck. I have a machine shop to do the work but the machinist works predominatly on chevy which is what he races in sprint cars. He is very excited about this build and has done a few studes to stock but we want to step it up a bit. Any thing will be very much appreciated. Thanks Larry

Also I was at hot august nights and got to meet Pat dilling and several other stude owners and was impressed with the number and quality of studes in attendance

Howdy,

Glad to see you here on the forum. I'm sure you will find the info you need here. Hopefully Jack Vines (Packard V8) will chime in, as well as others. There were some nice Studebakers at HAN huh?

Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Glad to have you aboard and glad to see you are staying with the Studebaker V8.

I'm working on a head modification which will be using LS1 valves and beehive springs. Looks stock outside but performs better than.

Buy an Iskenderian ST5 cam and you'll have most of what is available there.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Pat I was very impressed with your car and thanks for the application for the club I will be sending that in soon. Jack I would be interested in seeing what you come up with on those heads. Also what do you guys think of the stromberg four barrel carb. Its not stude but it is from the period but if it wont get the job done I will look further. Are performance exhaust headers available.

Comment

Are performance exhaust headers available.
          Short aswer, no. There are cast iron R3 reproduction headers, but they don't really add much horsepower for the cost. Nobody ever said building Studebaker horsepower was easy or inexpensive.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Hi, and welcome! I'm not familiar with that model Stromberg carb. Everyone I've talked to says Carter AFB/Edlebrock 500-650 cfm carbs are the way to go. Studebaker used an AFB for their R series and jet thrust engines in 1963-'64. The Karel Staple chapter SDC is having the monthly meeting in Napa this Sunday. are you planning on attending? Plenty of folks there who could give you some advice on your project. Brian

Comment

Here's a link to the stromberg. Good luck http://www.carbkitsource.com/carbs/t...omberg/4A.html
              Bill H
              Daytona Beach
              SDC member since 1970
              Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Welcome! Since this is a truck, you may want to also check out the Truck Talk forum:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/
                1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
                See rescue progress here on this blog:
                http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

You would be well advised to take a Stude service manual to your engine guy. Point out specifically the crankshaft endplay settings.
                  Also point out the proper pinch bolt tightening procedure.
                  Also point out the external (to the oil pump) pressure relief valve.
                  Also point out the critical importance on proper oil pan gasket sealing procedures.

Couple of opinions....
                  (1) That Offy will look good, and run OK, but it has very small runners as it was designed for the first years of the Stude V8.
                  So massive HP gains won't be realized from just that one part.
                  You will need to drill out the end bolt holes to use the second generation clamping stuff from your 289....
                  A carb adapter plate will be needed if you use anything other than what you have now..

(2) Invest in an aluminum cam drive gear (Fairborne Stude and others).
                  Cheap insurance to a fibre cam gear failure and subsequent re-do of all your hard work.

(3) Always have the block super cleaned, boiled out, or baked out....and put in new plugs and cam bearings.

(4) When having your valve job done, have them put in stellite valve seats.
                  Many here will challenge this, but if you want the longest possible service life.....just do it and don't look back...

(5) Rebuild and re-curve your distributor....convert it to electronic (Pertronix, etc)
                  Timing is everything, so make sure yours is spot on correct all the time.

(6) Since you are changing blocks, take the bellhousing over to your engine guy and tell him to 'dial in' the bellhousing to the new block.
                  Not doing this could leave you with shifting problems, clutch problems, or trans problems. It is a MUST DO item.

(7) Buy a reground R1 cam and some new lifters. http://www.fairbornstudebaker.com/

Build it right the first time and go have fun!
                  HTIH
                  Jeff
                  Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 08-20-2011, 06:32 AM.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Just an FYI..
                    He will need to put a carb adapter plate on to run any kind of an AFB on an Offy manifold.
                    Not a big deal, unless it is on a '53 with hood clearance issues...
                    Jeff
                    PS: They can look sooo cool!

Originally posted by brian6373 View Post
                    Hi, and welcome! I'm not familiar with that model Stromberg carb. Everyone I've talked to says Carter AFB/Edlebrock 500-650 cfm carbs are the way to go. Studebaker used an AFB for their R series and jet thrust engines in 1963-'64. The Karel Staple chapter SDC is having the monthly meeting in Napa this Sunday. are you planning on attending? Plenty of folks there who could give you some advice on your project. Brian

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

I really appreciate these bits of info and they are the beginnings of my path. I will be bringing all of what you guys tell me to the machinist so we can create the plan.

Jack I have read several articles about the headers and they all pretty much feel the same as you. So is there any luck on building a set of tube headers or should I stay with stock for now.

Brian I won't be able to do the meet sunday in napa but would like to make another meet in the future. I am in redding ca. and napa is not far from me. I also agree with you on the carter carb just thought the stromberg was interesting and it came with the manifold.

John thanks for the link to the truck site I read some interesting posts with important things for me to consider on some other parts of my build.

Deepnhock On your comment on the offy manifold are you saying that it will just not add hp itself or robbing hp from the total build and not allowing head work and cam to reach ther full potential. I have the stock four barrel manifold
                      thanks Larry

Comment

Suggest you set some budget and horsepower goals. Then, get a long block build cost from your machinist. His part of the work will most likely approach $3000 if he's buying new parts and doing it right - building to R1 specs plus the Iskenderian ST5 cam.

The Offy/Stromberg combo looks cool when polished and they work; just not very well. They won't make as much horsepower as the late iron intake and a 500 CFM AFB.

Head work is where everything starts. Figure at least $1000 for heads done correctly with R3-size valves, hard exhaust seats and better springs. PM me if you want to discuss the new LS1 heads I'm working on now.

Jack I have read several articles about the headers and they all pretty much feel the same as you. So is there any luck on building a set of tube headers or should I stay with stock for now
                        .Build your own tube headers if you want to invest much time and money for not much more horsepower.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Hey Jack I apolojize for not getting back to you sooner I was gone for a couple days work demands much of my time but I am fortunate to have work in these economic times. Any how I am not to computer literate so I hope this is a pm.I am very interested in the heads you are creating. I have read several threads on this site and you seem to have a very deep understanding of stude history and engines and you tell it as you believe and I apreciate that .
                          As to exhaust headers can anything be done to improve on the stock headers and if not how much do they compromise head work. I agree with you about building my own headers as I do not have the knowledge or the wallet to chase the unknown. I would rather do what has been proven for now and maybe in the future tackle some of the unknowns. Do you have a recomendation on pistons and are stock rods sufficient.

Comment

ALL the information given is from guys that know. If you are doing a driver and not trying to extract
                            a lot of power, the Offy/Stromberg works good. I am using one daily.

Comment

I agree!
                              This is an equisite example of how to build a Stude engine for 'the look', and 'period performance', rather than an all out race engine.
                              Decide on your goals, and build to that level of Stude'dom....
                              Your engine...Your choice...
                              Jeff

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                              ALL the information given is from guys that know. If you are doing a driver and not trying to extract
                              a lot of power, the Offy/Stromberg works good. I am using one daily.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X