Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Decisions, decisions, decisions. 1962 Lark receiving a 350 Chevy; what are my tranny options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: Decisions, decisions, decisions. 1962 Lark receiving a 350 Chevy; what are my tranny options?

OK; as per my other thread here; I'm running into waaaay too many (read that $$$) snags in getting the 259 running in my 1962 Lark.

Long story short: I would prefer a manual transmission since the car has the 3 spd/OD already in place though I am aware that aside from the clutch pedal, everything else would need to be switched..........which brings me to my second point:

What would be my best bet if I drop in an AT instead? TH350 will fit but between them starting to become scarce and only 3 spd; I would prefer a tranny with an overdrive. 700R4 or 200R4? I've heard rumors about clearance issues with the 700......

Side note: I'm giving very hard thought to going with a 350 TBI setup which already mandates a computer so hooking up a later tranny would be relatively easy.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Avoid computers. They are the devil's work. I, for one, would never touch one if my life depended upon it.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Since you say you like the manual transmission, why not just keep the one you have? If you use the bellhousing from a 65 or 66, it should just bolt up to the belly button motor.

Comment

The 200 4R has a better gear ratio spread than the 700R4 and is physically smaller. The 700 has a very low 3.06 1st gear so the RPM drop going into 2nd gear is significant. I will be using a GM OD in my next project and will chose the 200 4R for those reasons.

Pat
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          Avoid computers. They are the devil's work. I, for one, would never touch one if my life depended upon it.
          In all fairness: TBI setups are actually quite basic. Read that 10 PSI fuel pressure with but 2 injectors and the throttle body resembles a large 2 barrel carburetor.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by whacker View Post
            Since you say you like the manual transmission, why not just keep the one you have? If you use the bellhousing from a 65 or 66, it should just bolt up to the belly button motor.
            I think he'd actually need the trans from the '65-66, or at least the input shaft (and bearing retainer? not sure)

nate
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

If you like manual how about a T5? I put one in my hot rod and it works great.
              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I like the option of the overdrive also...for obvious reasons.

1. great around town OR racing first gear ratio.
                2. the T-200-4R has a very nice gear ratio spread.
                3. and somewhat obviously the 4th gear (overdrive).

I've got two T-200-4R's, one for my 60 Lark, small block Chevy hot rod, and one for my Stude powered 54 Conestoga.
                Both have been rebuilt with racing in mind, both have trans. brakes (overkill for most).

My vote...hands down...the T-200..

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X