Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Will SOMEBODY clear this up?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will SOMEBODY clear this up?!?

So far, no responses to my plea for a trans.; but in case someone does, I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need for 1960
    Studebaker Lark wagon, 259 cu. in., 3-spd. manual with overdrive, column shift, 4 door, green in color............

So far I've been told:

6 cyl. truck will work
    6 cyl. truck won't work
    8 cyl. truck will work
    8 cyl. truck won't work
    Must be 58-up
    Any years 53-64 will work
    Only 59-60
    Only 59-66 Lark
    If top cover has 6 bolts it's what I need
    If top cover has 4 bolts it won't work
    Makes no difference how many bolts in top cover

At the rate I'm going, these questions may be academic[V]

I'm still holding out hope there'll be someone who wants to sell me a trans.; I've e-mailed a couple folks that said they sell parts, and NO response[}][?] Carl Purdy offered to ship his, but it's a 56; will it work, or not?!?

I'm so clueless about these cars; maybe I'll just drag it to SB as-is with "For Sale" signs...

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

I have an automatic trans from V8 wagon that I'd sell you. I don't know what they are worth. Make an offer. I also have a 3spd w/OD out of another V8 car that I'd sell. Again, don't know what they are worth, make an offer.

This will clear things. The truck trans. are different than car trans and they will not interchange. The tailshaft on the 3 speeds are longer on the car and the planetary has only three gears and the trucks have four. The trucks were beefier. I believe that the 6cyl trannys will fit on an 8cyl as long as you have the correct bellhousing.

-Home of John Studebaker-
    http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t95/stude4x4/
    http://varozza4x4.com

Comment

The Commander six OD unit will bolt up to the bell housing, but the tail shaft is too short for the one piece drive shaft.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      58 Starlight
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

So far I've been told:

6 cyl. truck will work
        No.
        8 cyl. truck will work
        Maybe, if from a Champ.
        Must be 58-up
        Yes.
        Any years 53-64 will work
        No.
        Only 59-60
        '58 - '64 AFAIK
        Only 59-66 Lark
        Hawk tranny should work, too.
        If top cover has 6 bolts it's what I need
        Yep, model T86
        If top cover has 4 bolts it won't work
        Yep, model T96, for six cyl. only.
        Makes no difference how many bolts in top cover
        Nope; can't use six cylinder tranny, even if you MAKE it fit, it's too light for a V8, ask me how I learned that.

Now, I have a T86 from a '62 Lark VIII here in my garage, and I expect to be getting another one. Both overdrive. I will sell this one for $100, which I think is a fair price, but shipping from Alberta to new York would be a deal-breaker, IMHO. I could haul it to South Bend with me.

What's wrong with your existing transmission? I do have some loose tranny parts and OD parts, too. Let me know. Shipping a few parts wouldn't be so bad. Lot of iron in that case, you know.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I don't know, call me crazy, but...can the transmission that's in the car now be rebuilt? Very few things typically go bad in a manual trans. I would also think parts would still be locatable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Robert .. I sent you an Email through the forum today, did you get it?
            A local guy here has some parts, I included his email for your to get
            hold of him (didnt want to post it in the forum without an OK). I also
            sent him an email letting him know to expect your message.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Replies in order:

Stude4x4- Thank you, but I want to keep it a manual trans. I have a couple autos myself.

gordr- Good answers; and we'll see- I may have to look into shipping from AB...

hotwheels63r2- E-mailed you through forum twice, did you get either? Would be very interested in one if you'll ship. I'm confused about the numbers and letters, and don't have the trans out yet; so don't know what the number would be. Will barely have time to switch one, and so not able to even think about repairing (which I could do); I will hang onto it, though...

Swifster- You're not crazy; sure they can be rebuilt; and probably is the best way to go... but I will not be able to even dream about doing that for the foreseeable future, certainly not before SB. As to condition, I know it's bad; O/D blown, no reverse, grinds loudly on deceleration in high gear...

scba96- Thanks for the contact, Tom; I did get your e-mail, and will contact him if I don't get a deal made in the next day or two.

Thank you for your responses. Between work and a business expansion/building project, I'm currently working 14-20 hr. days. When we swap trannies, it'll be very late at night- me, my head mechanic, and another tech... they've taken pity on poor old Molly (and poor old me) and have agreed to come in on a night when I'm able to jump on it and get it done in a couple hours.

In the works are plans to set up a resto shop at my home, complete with rotisserie, blasters, MIG and TIG welders, in-floor heating, and paint booth. My dream is to not only do restos on these great old cars, but to help others do it, and show them how to do the work themselves, on a not-for-profit basis... but that's a few years off. Currently I have a real challenge squeezing out an hour or 2 here and there for my old cars. So till then I'll be limited on how much I'm able to do; hence the need for, in this case, a bolt-in part...

Looking forward to getting away to SB for a few days!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

For what it's worth, I just had my 3-speed with OD redone by a trusted tranny shop here in Kingston, not too far from you. It's back in the car now and is doing just fine, they were able to do it in a couple of days. I supplied a few parts, blocking rings and a gasket set, these parts are readily available. Yours may need more, but it could be an option if you're interested.
                I can be reached at 613 544 0046
                Bill Foy
                1000 Islands, Ontario
                1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

OK Mike, I'll get under it tomorrow afternoon.

I clicked on the link in your profile to send you the e-mails; so be advised that is not working.

I'll use the e-mail in your earlier post.

Thanks!
                  Bob

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I clicked on the link in your profile to send you the e-mails; so be advised that is not working.
                    Agressive spam filters will put messages sent through the forum into the "junk mail" folder. I often find mail from forum members in my junk mail folder (yahoo mail).

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Captain Billy

For what it's worth, I just had my 3-speed with OD redone by a trusted tranny shop here in Kingston, not too far from you. It's back in the car now and is doing just fine, they were able to do it in a couple of days. I supplied a few parts, blocking rings and a gasket set, these parts are readily available. Yours may need more, but it could be an option if you're interested.
                      I can be reached at 613 544 0046
                      Thank you for that info. I do have a trans. shop locally that's really good with these things; just no time to have him break it down, search for parts, call me with a list of stuff he can't find, hunting for the pieces, acquiring said pieces, and waiting for it to be reassembled; especially when they're fairly plentiful- and SB's just a couple of weeks away [:0]

I may eventually have the original redone, though.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I hear yah on that .. but what if the replacement is just as bad after
                        you go through the trouble of swapping it in?[:I][V]

Tom

just no time to have him break it down, search for parts, call me with a list of stuff he can't find
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Greetings, Robert,

Everyone here is being nice and trying to help, but you said yourself [b]"I'm so clueless about these cars."/b]

Many here have forty or fifty years in the Studebaker hobby and have been there, done that often enought to know the odds are against what you propose to do. One maxim to which most of us subscribe is, "Never let a Studebaker know you are in a hurry." To get a used transmission shipped to you, install it in a couple of hours late at night and then drive it to South Bend and back with no problems will sorely tempt fate.

There is a complete T-86 overdrive transmission and linkage on the shelf which came out of a running '63 Daytona. I had thought of offering it to you for $150. Even knowing the transmission was working fine when removed, there is no way I would want you to do what you are proposing using my transmission.

Best of luck to you in this project, in your new business and your dream garage.

thnx, jack vines.

PackardV8
                          PackardV8

Comment

Whoops, my bad... I tend to think everyone here is a frequent reader, and therefore always knows the background[:I]

The car will come to SB on my tow dolly; and will see just a few miles in the area.

As for the rest- While I know relatively little about Stude-specific things, I AM extensively experienced with cars; restoring, racing, repairing. With 3 guys, a lift, and all the tools (including air-powered), a couple hours will be more than enough to R&R a manual trans., and do it right. No odds to worry about!

Thanks for your input.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:
                              just no time to have him break it down, search for parts, call me with a list of stuff he can't find

Originally posted by sbca96

I hear yah on that .. but what if the replacement is just as bad after
                              you go through the trouble of swapping it in?[:I][V]

Tom
                              I think that while it's possible, it's very unlikely; std. trannies are pretty easy to pull the cover on and get a good idea of condition, and run through the gears manually; with an auto. I'd never do it unless someone I trust told me they'd actually driven it...

Again, though- time precludes any other solution if I want it for SB [B)]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X