Avanti/Toaster Oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti/Toaster Oven?

I've recieved the 66 Avanti II I won on E-Bay and have a question. Down here in Ga. and its been pretty hot as of late but there seems to be a whole lot of heat coming through the firewall and floorboards of this car. Has anyone tried any heat sheilding mat to help with this problem in their Avanti? If so what brand [Dynomat seems to be quite expensive]? Did it work? Tips? Thanks all,

Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

If you don't get a response here, try the AOAI message boards.

There are a lot of Avanti club members who have done a good many modifications to their cars.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

To be honest .. I think that a LOT of that heat is coming from the
      heater itself. It doesnt seem as though you can shut the darn thing
      off! I get the same experience with my '63 Avanti. Heat heat heat.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

They offered a console cooling kit from the factory, dropped it from incinerator to mere oven.
        [

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
        59 3E truck
        58 Starlight
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

It has AC located in the console if thats what your describing? The AC works and does make it bearable but thats all.

Comment

The dynamat does work. But check all of the grommets on the fire wall.heater hoses, throttle boot, sterring ,brake and clutch pedal. Rubber seal for the hood. it will let hot air pass to the fresh air opening and heat up the inside to.these are most of the places hot engine air will get in from.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
            64 Avanti R3w/NOS
            88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help.

Comment

The console cooling modification JDP was referring to is on the later cars, ducting air from the cowl opening behind the hood bringing air down to the underside of the console to help cool that area. It definitely should be added to the earlier cars without it.

Make sure the rubber strip at the back of the hood is still sealing. Otherwise, hot air from the engine will come out of the hood, into the cowl vent and into the car and the ducting.

Stude controls are not the best. Check to insure your heater valve is fully stopping hot water. Also insure the defroster vents haven't "perished" as the Brits say. Most are shot and need replacing.

Replace every piece of rubber on the firewall. An amazing volume of heat can come in via a "perished" accelerator boot.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

Combine the advice below with Tom's (sbca96) heater advice and you can actually get the temp down to "no worse" than any other non A/C car. I insulated mine from top to bottom, plugged and sealed every opening in the firewall and put in a new heater valve and it has become "normal".

The hood to cowl seal, brake and throttle seals and heater valve top the list.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

The console cooling modification JDP was referring to is on the later cars, ducting air from the cowl opening behind the hood bringing air down to the underside of the console to help cool that area. It definitely should be added to the earlier cars without it.

Make sure the rubber strip at the back of the hood is still sealing. Otherwise, hot air from the engine will come out of the hood, into the cowl vent and into the car and the ducting.

Stude controls are not the best. Check to insure your heater valve is fully stopping hot water. Also insure the defroster vents haven't "perished" as the Brits say. Most are shot and need replacing.

Replace every piece of rubber on the firewall. An amazing volume of heat can come in via a "perished" accelerator boot.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8

Comment

Hello Darryl
                    My 64 Avanti R2 is also very hot in summer. I live about 40
                    Miles east of Atlanta.My Avanti is black not a good color for
                    summer heat.I just installed a new headliner & put some foil
                    insulation above the headliner.I am going to put a light under
                    the hood & at night look in the car to see if any light comes
                    through the firewall.Mabe you like to join our north Ga SDC
                    chapter.

Lenny

Comment

Not putting the exhaust wrap down. But Thermal coating the the exhaust system will do the most good. Cuts surface temp in half.Most likely about $12.00 a foot. Wont cause any problems of rust by traped moisture.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
                      64 Avanti R3w/NOS
                      88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

Working...
                      X