Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Which Champion do I have ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Which Champion do I have ?

First, a thank you for the wealth of info I have recieved from members on other questions i have posed. It is tough to be a baby and have to learn all the things you want to know about your new
    hobby. My 1948 Champoin 4 door. Is it a deluxe, or regal deluxe. how do I tell. the vin is g316217.
    It has music, heat, O/D, and hill holder. Parts catalog says made in South Bend. What did it sell
    for in 48 ? What other questions will I have tommorow ? what were the things you wanted to know
    about your Stude ? And, thank you very much for being such a wealth od info.

LOL. Lift the hood and look for a metal tag on the firewall. It will give you the model number and the trim level will be in that number. I'm guessing a 3 for deluxe and a 5 for regal.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Get the numbers embossed on the tag on the right side of the firewall and someone here will decode it for you. The serial number on the door jamb does not tell us what model you have. Back then they were just serial numbers, not VIN's so there is no decoding them. Alternatively give the Studebaker museum your serial number and for a fee they will send you the production order of your car.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The Serial Number only identifies it as a South Bend built 1948 Champion, built early in the model year. If the cowl Body Number starts with 7G-W3 it is a DeLuxe and if it starts with 7G-W5 it is a Regal DeLuxe.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thanks to each. it is a 7G-W5. I guess that means a regal.

Comment

Working...
          X