Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Cooling system capability ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Cooling system capability ?

I have been running my 61 Hawk quite a bit over the last few days checking the functionality of some repairs I have made. This is really the first time I have run the engine much since I completed the engine rebuild back in the winter. It is has been hot here in North Carolina. Temps have been in the 95 to 100 degree range.

When I was driving the car around the yard testing the speedometer, I noticed the temp getting a little high. So I stopped and let it cool down. To eliminate the possibility of the thermostat being stuck, I pulled it out. Today I broke out the old meat thermometer and stuck it down in the radiator. I started the car and let it sit and idle. The temp gauge in the car went up a lot faster than the thermometer, but eventually the thermometer started to catch up and the two were pretty well matched at 180 degrees.

My concern is, should the car get this hot when it is just sitting and idling without a thermostat installed? The air flow through the radiator seems very weak. Yes the shroud is installed. During the rebuild, I had a local shop "boil out" the radiator. Of course the block was cleaned and a new water pump was installed. The car has good flow visible in the radiator top tank.

Thanks for any input
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

180 on a hot day, sitting and idling is GOOD! Not moving, with no air flow through the radiator is when they usually overheat, in a parade or stuck in traffic for example. I'd be happy with 180 any day.
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

OK, that makes me feel a little better.

Is it possible to easily install a different fan that would move more air, so the car could cool itself when sitting still. That 4 blade fan doesn't look like it moves much air.

Thanks
      Wayne
      Wayne

sigpic

Comment

180 degrees is ideal. If you're holding that sitting still on a hot day, be happy! Many cars shoot up over 200 in slow traffic or at a stop.
        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

With 180 degrees idling on a hot day, I would just reinstall the thermostat.
          To answer your question, Studebaker offered a heavy duty fan with five blades and much more pitch that is a bolt on exchange. It moves a lot more air and makes more noise. I do not believe that you need one.
          A 1961 Hawk gets a lot of air through the radiator when you are going down the road.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the info everybody.

Any ideas on where I might be able to find a heavy duty 5 blade fan. I understand that I probably don't need it, but I might want to try one. If it makes too much noise I can always put the original back on.

Wayne
            Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
              Thanks for the info everybody.

Any ideas on where I might be able to find a heavy duty 5 blade fan. I understand that I probably don't need it, but I might want to try one. If it makes too much noise I can always put the original back on.

Wayne
              The last NOS one I purchased was from SS, so I would suggest starting with SI.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I found and installed a 6 blade fan (NOS, rusted, at South Bend Swap) in my '53 coupe. I put it on and drove home (5 hrs) I didn't notice any extra noise, it seemed to help keep the heat down (coolant passages were subsequently cleaned, which helped a lot) but I noticed a major spray of oil, apparently sucked out of the Oil Fill Tower and covering the hood. I had too much air coming over the engine.

Comment

I thought of a different fan, too, but I have that oil tower that Tom speaks of and I'm trying a new rad, first. It only spikes the temp gauge if I'm standing still. A new four pass rad with tighter fins may do the trick. I'll know today!
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Please keep us posted on how the new Radiator works out when the car is sitting still.

I would have never guessed that air flow from a higher capacity fan could suck oil up the fill tower and out of the breather cap.

How did Studebaker handle this oil sucking issue when they equipped a car with a heavy duty / high capacity fan?

Thanks
                    Wayne
                    Wayne

sigpic

Comment

I would have never guessed that air flow from a higher capacity fan could suck oil up the fill tower and out of the breather cap.

That's the only explanation I can come up with. I'd put 5 to 6,000 miles on the car before that, never had oil on the hood, just dead bugs.

Comment

When I had a tower on my Hawk, and went with a big fan, it did the same thing. Even blew the cap off of the tower. I vagely remember that some of the older caps had a bib looking affair on the front of the cap. I guess that is why it was there. Anyway, went with 63 valve covers with caps in the valve covers, and that took care of the problem.

Comment

Serenity now! New rad and no more cooling issues. I can idle for an hour and the temp gauge never goes past mid range. The four pass core has very fine cooling fins. I have the overflow bottle kit from S.I. but can't see any room to install it. Oh well, I'm happy with it now. I've been watching my temp gauge for 2000 miles and now I can relax. I seem to remember putting a new rad in my last 55 coupe but that was 35 years ago. I bought it for $200 in Elkhart In., and just drove it and drove it. This one is starting to feel better, now. I found a truck place that will set the end play clearance on the Dana 44, then I'll try a couple of hundred mile trip. Feels good!
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                          X