Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

4 Speed Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: 4 Speed Transmission

I have a 61 Hawk with a 4 speed. 1st and 2nd Gears seems to be very little difference. Other words when you take off in 1st you feel that it is in 2nd. After you get to moving and go thru the gears and start downshift then you can tell there is a little difference. Where these 2 gears close to each other in ratio. Bill Bailey

I am not sure if the T-10's had a close ratio and a wide ratio 4 speed like the Muncie 4 speeds! But I do know that if you have a3.73 or 4.10 rear end if will seem closer than if you had a 3.07 or 3.31 geared rear end between the shifts. My Champ has a 4.27 rear end and a 4 speed and you can hardly tell much difference between third and fourth gear!. Bruce.
    1958 Transtar 3E6-122
    1958 Transtar 3E13-31
    1959 Transtar 4E7-122
    1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
    1960 Transtar 5E28-171
    1960 Lark Gasser
    1963 Daytona

Comment

While most '61 T10s had the close ratio transmission, with equally spaced ratios, your description sounds lilke the later wide ratio tranny. This had first, second and third very close together and then a jump to fourth.

A "Car Life" road test mentioned the first three gears were too close, and it didn't make any real difference if one shifted from first to third to fourth.

jack vines
      Last edited by PackardV8; 08-07-2011, 08:20 AM.
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the information. I believe I have the later. I believe at low speed i could leave in in 1st gear and never change gears. Once you get it rolling in 4th it will go pretty good. I do not where the Transmission was change but it has a 63 avanti engine by the serial number. Thanks Bill Bailey

Comment

Hi, Bill,

The wide-ratio transmission coupled to the Avanti engine explains everything. That combination is more common than the '61 close ratio transmission.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Jack: Are there any other Transmission that will bolt in to that motor without a lot of changes.

Comment

Willie,

It depends on what you call "alot of work". I have a '61 4-speed Hawk with the Chevy pattern T-10. Here is what I have learned. This T-10 has an input shaft that is unique, (Stude only and longer than GM or any other). The throughout bearing is different so a GM snout needs either a bushing or machined down, can't remember which without looking up the file. A special pilot bushing is required to take up the short fall on the shaft lengtht. Many have used them but I do not have a drawing yet. That being said any Muncei could be used. I have had conversations with one of the GM Muncie "reproduction" manufacturer and they have said they would do a "special" input shaft. So an M-22 Rock Crusher" could be done with no special pilot bushing. The Super T-10 is also an option but now you need the special pilot bushing, the sleave machining, crossmember and driveshaft modifications due to its longer length. Another alternative is an adapter and a 5-speed Tremic, but now we are talking a hydraulic clutch. PM me if you want to talk more.

Jon Kammer

Comment

Jack: Are there any other Transmission that will bolt in to that motor without a lot of changes.
                Short answer is no. If you are really wanting to get the most transmission for the least money and effort, go back to the T86 3-speed with overdrive. Depending on which rear gear you have, that may require a lower axle ratio.

These days most performance-oriented Stude builders go with a Borg-Warner T-5 or Tremec TKO 500 five speed transmission. These are a bit more work and can be a lot more money, depending on your fabrication and scrounging skills.

Do a search here and you'll find several previous how-to threads on the five-speed swap.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                X