Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

that is not suposed to be brown!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that is not suposed to be brown!

I just came back form a short ride in my Daytona.20 miles or so.Poped the hood and let it all cool down. The radiator fluid is brown and foamy!!!! Never had one do that. I knew I had not changed it since I got it last year and I was going to do a thermo/hoses and pump soon but...brown water sounds bad. Oil? The dip stick didn't have any of the tell tale white spots on it.
    Any educated guesses what is going wrong.
    The only other symptom is it has run a little hot lately.
    Any insights?

64 Daytona HT
    Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC
    64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Sounds like it needs a good cooling system flush. Running hot could indicate a lot of sludge in the block. Take the water jacket pipe plugs out at the back of the block on each side - you may have to take the starter off to access the one on the drivers side - shove the garden hose in the radiator and let the water run until it is clear. Then take a heavy wire like a coat hanger shove it in through the pipe plug hole as far as possible and probe around in the block to dislodge as much sludge as you can. Particularly towards the back since that is the low end. Repeat this as much as needed. While you are down there, check out the frost plugs to make sure none are weeping. If any are and you can change them yourself, taking them out will give you more access to the water jacket.

Terry
    BC Coastal Chapter SDC
    PS If your driveway is concrete do it somewhere else otherwise it will be permanently stained red! Ask me how I know[)].

Comment

A word of warning:

Anti freeze is toxic to your pets and apparently has a very sweet taste that attracts them. If you are dumping this stuff on the ground [xx(] be sure that it does not collect anywhere that animals could drink it (unless you are trying to do in Mrs. Smith's yappy FiFi next door).

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

What's it taste like??

Comment

Don't know, the taster died before he could describe it....[8)]

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

It's very sweet, like thick Kool-Aid. (Don't ask how I know this.)

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
            '63 F2/Lark Standard
            http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

it tastes sweet with a dry aftertaste that gets bitter. on old fords it sometimes gets a gritty quality. it burns the eyes and any other oriface when hot. hahahahah
              I checked the car this a.m. and it looks green again. seems like the brown stuff sets down at cool. got the hoses and the juice .flush today.

64 Daytona HT
              64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Comment

Here in NJ if you flush a system & let it run on the ground or into the sewers and the town finds out, the EPA gets called, Hazmat, Etc., and you pay the cleanup & the fine...It happened to one guy in my town, cost him $15,000 by the time they got done with him...

Comment

Working...
                X