wiper blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: wiper blades

I've been doing a little research trying to find wiper blades to fit my 1966 Cruiser. I'd like to buy locally, not through the mail, and no, I don't live in South Bend. I've found that Anco gives four part numbers that are supposed to work:
    C-15-UB (Contour), 91-15 (Aerovantage), 31-15 (31 series), and 30-15 (Winter).

None of these have bright silver frames. I do not necessarily have to have the original style look, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried these. How do they look on the car? Will they even clip on to our old-style wiper arms? If anyone is using other blades, do you have part numbers? Thanks.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Anco has a "Classic Series" of Blade Assemblies that has the dull sand blasted look stainless frame, fits as original and is available in your 15 inch size at NAPA Auto Parts Stores and Studebaker Vendors, of course you would have to mail the latter, which is how things are done nowdays with the price of fuel what it is.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Rich. I went down to the local NAPA and they don't carry Anco. I'll look around at other places.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Thats werd. I've used the NAPA classic blades myself & never had a problem getting them. The stores here had what I needed in stock.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Well, all the blades they had said NAPA on them, not ANCO, so the clerk figured I was out of luck. Didn't even check anything for me. I didn't look too long either, since I was looking for Anco and not NAPA. Anyway, everything I saw was too long. Does Anco make the NAPA blades? I'm confused now.

Comment

OK I stand corrected, Warren is right they are NAPA, no excuse though that the Counterperson did not look it up and order them, because they market those themselfs!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I got wiper blades for my '54 Commander at Advance Auto. Thier computer actually goes back that far, and lists Studebaker. They are dull finished stainless, Trico "triple action". They have multiple fasteners for different arms, so are not perfect for a full restoration, but work for a driver. The cost was around $8.00 each.
              Last edited by 1954khardtop; 08-02-2011, 06:00 PM. Reason: correction- price was each, not pair
              Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

The NAPA classic series blades are made by Trico which is the supplier for most of the NAPA blades. I use them on my Studebakers and they work and look fine. NAPA has a catalogue for the classic series blades and Studebaker is listed in it. If I remember correctly, Rock Auto also has the correct blades. Bud

Comment

Do you still have the original wiper blades? If so you can refill them. I would have to look the info up tonight however because apparently my web site has officially been taken down, as I suspected would happen for a while now. Going off memory, you need to use a specific refill that is too long, remove the rubber, cut to length with a razor blade, and insert it into the original spines - so you need to have the original spines, clips, etc. from your factory blades. (I think the clips from the replacements will work, but obviously you can't cut down a metal spine - and nobody makes them the correct length anymore.)

nate
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I think the car still has the old (maybe original) blades (spines?). I think I saw them in the trunk. The Napa blades are longer than the originals? I don't have the car here at my place to be able to check what the blades look like. I just seem to remember seeing shot rubber in them. If I can replace the rubber as you say, then that will probably work for me. If you can find out the refill, let me know. Thanks.

Comment

no, the only rubber that is available that will fit the original blades is too long. I don't know about the NAPA full blades, I just like keeping the original stuff whenever possible - most aftermarket replacements have some kind of chunky accessory included with them to adapt them to the original wiper arms whereas the originals are nice and low profile. And please don't even think about using black painted wiper blades on an old Studebaker :P

I'll have to dig the info out tonight; I'm sure I have the exact information you need, just don't have access to it right now.
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Scott,

I found two wiper arms and one blade in your car. They do not have the chrome finish on them. I am not familiar with what a 1966 is supposed to have.
                        The arms and the one blade have a satin type silver grey finish on them.
                        So all you need is to find a matching "blade". Also, when you were here last time i was in the process of replacing wiper inserts on my driver.
                        I have the rubber inserts that should fit your blade/s. You just need to adjust the length of them, grin!!

BTW, i don't think it's going to rain anytime soon!!
                        George King
                        Grants Pass, Oregon
                        64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Nate's method is what I have used when replacing wiper blades. Works fine.
                          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I believe that by 1966 Studebaker was using non-glare wipers, so the satin metal finish sounds correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              I believe that by 1966 Studebaker was using non-glare wipers, so the satin metal finish sounds correct.
                              I just typed out a long reply that got lost and don't have time to do it again.... but look at the very last page

http://www.georgiastudebaker.com/Interchange.pdf

post back if you have questions

long story short - use the 43-190/200/220 refills if your blade still has the original spines, and the blade itself is a 15" matte finish Trico which was used on 66-67 Corvettes and likely other contemporary GM cars. Show quality repros are available if all else fails.

hope this helps
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                              X