Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

How are they measured?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drive Shaft: How are they measured?

    Are the driveshafts measured center to center of the universals? I need to get the one I have shortened by 19/32"! That's why I had so much trouble getting it out and then back in.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

  • #2
    For a one piece drive shaft, at normal driving height, you measure from point to point, where the universal caps will sit in the yoke saddles.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
      For a one piece drive shaft, at normal driving height, you measure from point to point, where the universal caps will sit in the yoke saddles.
      Okay, where in the saddles? Outside, inside, center?
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
        Are the driveshafts measured center to center of the universals? I need to get the one I have shortened by 19/32"! That's why I had so much trouble getting it out and then back in.
        Chip

        If you know the amount you need it shortened 19/32", isn't the technique irrelevant. If it is just to measure after the mods to assure correctness, just find a fixed point on each end and measure before and after.

        Just thinkin', Bob

        Comment


        • #5
          If you are using the parts books, the measurements given there are C-C on the U-joint bearing cups. I had one made to spec w/ those measurements for my '55 coupe (using the length for a GT Hawk w/ 4-speed and Dana 44) and it fits.

          nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            Chip

            If you know the amount you need it shortened 19/32", isn't the technique irrelevant. If it is just to measure after the mods to assure correctness, just find a fixed point on each end and measure before and after.

            Just thinkin', Bob
            You are right Bob, it doesn't really matter, I just wanted to compare what the book says it should be with what I measured.
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
              Are the driveshafts measured center to center of the universals? I need to get the one I have shortened by 19/32"! That's why I had so much trouble getting it out and then back in.
              If the "Book Number" is 535460, 535461, 535462, 1541746, 1541747, 1541748, 1541749 or 1541750 I can just email you a photo copy of the BLUEPRINTS and you can go from there.
              Last edited by Welcome; 07-22-2011, 04:04 AM. Reason: ...to clarify for Rich <G>

              Comment


              • #8
                I suspect being in South Bend, that you mean you will send Chip the BLUEPRINTS, not the driveshafts represented by those numbers!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  I suspect being in South Bend, that you mean you will send Chip the BLUEPRINTS, not the driveshafts represented by those numbers!
                  Hopefully …just clarified my previous post. Thank you!!!

                  As a clarification to your above comment; anyone, any place in the world (even in Ferndale, WA, USA) can order a reproduction of a Studebaker engineering drawing. Here is the link you can follow to order them: http://www.studebakermuseum.org/p/ar...e-collections/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ah, that makes more sense! The part number is 1547658. Thanks anyway!
                    Chip
                    '63 Cruiser
                    '57 Packard wagon
                    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I got the driveshaft shortened. Now instead of having to force it in, it was a breeze! I have about 1.25" of the yoke exposed instead of .625.
                      Chip
                      '63 Cruiser
                      '57 Packard wagon
                      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                        Hopefully …just clarified my previous post. Thank you!!!

                        As a clarification to your above comment; anyone, any place in the world (even in Ferndale, WA, USA) can order a reproduction of a Studebaker engineering drawing. Here is the link you can follow to order them: http://www.studebakermuseum.org/p/ar...e-collections/
                        Thank you Welcome, I was aware of that, however I figured you are able to go there and maybe pay a bit less without shipping and their hourly rate to do the search, only your own rate whatever they charge for that, so you would be doing it more than most of us "away from it all" people!

                        Quote: "Engineering Drawings
                        A-size: $5
                        B-size: $10
                        C-size: $20-$30
                        D-size: $30-$50
                        Rolled Drawings: $15/foot
                        All prices quoted in addition to hourly research fees.
                        Shipping not included."

                        I would think there would be minimum to no research fee if I send them a Drawing/Part Number to pull and print at these rates, YES?
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 07-23-2011, 03:51 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          >>>I was aware of that, however I figured you are able to go there and maybe pay a bit less without shipping and their hourly rate to do the search, only your own rate whatever they charge for that, so you would be doing it more than most of us "away from it all" people!
                          THE WORKProject du jourTHE REWARD

                          As you walk down aisle after dimly lit aisle in the archives filled with pictures, documents, drawings and you first realize you are walking through the heart of what remains of the Studebaker Corporation IS the reward!!!

                          Rich, come to South Bend a week earlier or stay a week later than the IM next summer and maybe you too can be a Volunteer.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X