Power Steering hydraulic Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Power Steering hydraulic Arm

Where or how do you get this part serviced. The unit is leaking its making loud wine when turned to the right. Thanks Shane

You can get a rebuild kit from Studebaker International Part # 1553403 for $12.75 (2010 prices). Pretty easy to do, just don't mix up the hoses when you re-install everything. Alternatively you could have F**D dealer do it for you for $100.00/hr plus parts
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Where or how do you get this part serviced. The unit is leaking its making loud wine when turned to the right. Thanks Shane
      By "arm" I am assuming ram and the answer above applies.
      If by "wine" you mean whine, that is usually coming from the pump, not the ram.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Normally, the whine from the pump is a sign of a low fluid level. Your leaking "power-ram" (located directly under the radiator) is an obvious cause of low fluid, but I would suggest you inspect all of the power steering components for leaks. All component overhaul kits/seals and hoses are readily available from many SDC vendors. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
        Auburn, GA
        Last edited by ROADRACELARK; 07-24-2011, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info I ordered the power steering rebuild package from SI. I hope this will do it as the fluid was black, my guess is the hoses went bad.

Comment

If you do a search, or check Johnstones website you will find my tech articles on
            how to change the seals and the problems I encountered.

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
            X