Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

T10 to a '63 corvette bell housing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transmission: T10 to a '63 corvette bell housing

    so will a '63 Stude T10 bolt up to a '63 corvette belhousing?

    I am trying to decide what trans to put behind a 331 hemi for installation in my '63 hawk.

    I am still on the fence as to rebuilding the 289 or go with the Hemi, and even more undecided as to what trans to go with!
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

  • #2
    The short answer is no. The 63 and up Studebaker T-10 used the Ford bolt pattern. The 61 and most 62's used the Chevy bolt pattern T-10 but used a different length input shaft.

    Originally posted by TXmark View Post
    so will a '63 Stude T10 bolt up to a '63 corvette belhousing?


    I am trying to decide what trans to put behind a 331 hemi for installation in my '63 hawk.

    I am still on the fence as to rebuilding the 289 or go with the Hemi, and even more undecided as to what trans to go with!
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

    Comment


    • #3
      so will a '63 Stude T10 bolt up to a '63 corvette belhousing?
      No, only the '61-early '62 Stude T10s used the Chevy bolt pattern. The late'62-64 were Ford pattern.

      jack vines
      PackardV8

      Comment


      • #4
        I am still on the fence as to rebuilding the 289 or go with the Hemi, and even more undecided as to what trans to go with!
        It would be an easy decision for me. The Borg-Warner T85/T89 overdrive is the strongest, best transmission Studebaker ever offered. I much prefer them for a driver. As far as I'm concerned, the T10 is best suited as drag strip transmission.

        If cost were no object, I'd go with the TK500 five-speed or TK600 six-speed.

        BTW - does your 331" have the extended bell housing or the flush back? Very difficult to find adapters and flywheels for the early 331"s.

        jack vines
        PackardV8

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          It would be an easy decision for me. The Borg-Warner T85/T89 overdrive is the strongest, best transmission Studebaker ever offered. I much prefer them for a driver. As far as I'm concerned, the T10 is best suited as drag strip transmission.

          If cost were no object, I'd go with the TK500 five-speed or TK600 six-speed.

          BTW - does your 331" have the extended bell housing or the flush back? Very difficult to find adapters and flywheels for the early 331"s.

          jack vines

          I have the short 331, Hot Heads and others have adapters for GM, ford and Chrys. So it will bolt to ford, is there differnences in the input shaft length?
          Mark Riesch
          New Bern, NC

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TXmark View Post
            I have the short 331, Hot Heads and others have adapters for GM, ford and Chrys. So it will bolt to ford, is there differnences in the input shaft length?
            yes. It's probably easiest if you are using a kit designed for a ford, GM, or Chrysler bellhousing to use the transmission that came with that bellhousing rather than a Studebaker trans. I believe the pilot bit of the input shaft is also a different diameter than Ford/GM as well.

            nate
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

            Comment


            • #7
              Stude and Chrysler use the same pilot (.750") size. The Stude input shaft is longer, so the Stude trans will bottom out in the Chrysler. If I were you I would use a A-833 if you really want a 4 speed.

              Comment


              • #8
                If I were you I would use a A-833 if you really want a 4 speed.
                Some of the late A-833s had third gear flipped to make it an overdrive. They're probably strong enough to handle a 331".

                jack vines
                PackardV8

                Comment


                • #9
                  Chevy version A-833 4 speed

                  there was a Chevy version of the A-833 aluminum case 4 speed with overdrive, in 80-85 (or 81-87) trucks. It is the side cover version 4 speed with OD. try www.car-part.com junk yard search engine to find one near you...

                  Here is an article about installing one.
                  http://www.classicjunkyard.com/new_process_a833.htm
                  54 Champion coupe
                  48 Champion Convert

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I found a Dodge A833 4sp O/D from a salvage yard $150 shipped to my door
                    these are supposed to be bulletproof
                    Mark Riesch
                    New Bern, NC

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X