The key to a modern PS swap on a Stude car is a reverse rotation gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
    Bob, I received your PM but was unable to reply since your inbox was full.
    I don't recall sending you one, are you sure it was me?? If it is, I'm really going bad since I don't remember writing you.......
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

If one just wants power steering and not a r&p then why not use a Saginaw with easy to get parts and adapt an electronic assist motor and accessories. One could leave all the Studebaker parts from the firewall forward and place it under the dash. I know it's not as simple as that but it will be the future.
      Last edited by Skybolt; 07-06-2011, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I looked at using the "Electra Steer" power steering, but the manufacturer says the total weight of the car is not to exceed 3000 lbs. That and the fact that it's very pricey made me change my mind.
        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Yes, it will take some time for larger trucks, pickups, suvs to change over but this looks like the way manufactures will go. Of course the bugs will have to be sorted out before I would seriously spend the time doing it. Also there will have to be plenty in the junk yard, hopefully not due to a steering related problem, for the price to be in reach. It was just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            I don't recall sending you one, are you sure it was me?? If it is, I'm really going bad since I don't remember writing you.......
            My bad, it was another poster here...........
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
              If one just wants power steering and not a r&p then why not use a Saginaw with easy to get parts and adapt an electronic assist motor and accessories. One could leave all the Studebaker parts from the firewall forward and place it under the dash. I know it's not as simple as that but it will be the future.
              Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
              I looked at using the "Electra Steer" power steering, but the manufacturer says the total weight of the car is not to exceed 3000 lbs. That and the fact that it's very pricey made me change my mind.
              Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
              Yes, it will take some time for larger trucks, pickups, suvs to change over but this looks like the way manufactures will go. Of course the bugs will have to be sorted out before I would seriously spend the time doing it. Also there will have to be plenty in the junk yard, hopefully not due to a steering related problem, for the price to be in reach. It was just a thought.
              Certain late model Chevys and Pontiacs use electric PS from the factory; Grand Am comes to mind.
              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
              X