No announcement yet.

The key to a modern PS swap on a Stude car is a reverse rotation gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: The key to a modern PS swap on a Stude car is a reverse rotation gearbox

Still poundin' the Internet for info: this is bugging the @#$% out of me............

Another poster reminded me that Stude/Avanti cars; at least 1951 and up, use a reverse rotation steering gear........meaning the sector turns counterclockwise when the worm gear (steering wheel side) is turned to the right (clockwise).

Apparently there is a Saginaw 800 series gear with reverse rotation; namely the Chevy Astro unit. I'm thinking if there is enough underhood/firewall clearance for such an animal; make up a bracket and/or notch/box the frame as needed to keep the sector (Pitman arm) shaft in the exact same location as the stock Stude piece.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Addendum: apparently the ca. 1995 up Astro 2WD used the reverse rotation gear...........the older guys were standard (clockwise).

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Any thoughts?

Comment

Just crossing our fingers and wishing you will come up with a bolt-in PS steering box interchange which has escaped us all these years.

If it turns out to be the Astro, I know where there is one sitting in a field and I can have the box free for pulling it.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Question.What are the original Studebaker steering housing made from? Cast, a forging or what?

Comment

Ross boxes are all cast..
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              Just crossing our fingers and wishing you will come up with a bolt-in PS steering box interchange which has escaped us all these years.

If it turns out to be the Astro, I know where there is one sitting in a field and I can have the box free for pulling it.

jack vines
              I have half a mind to pick up a Stude sedan just to see if such a modern PS swap is feasible. Note it will take a bit of time between $$$ and getting the proper specimin.

Comment

I used a gm gearbox on my 53.made a bracket to mount it on top of the frame,mounted it with the output shaft vertical,changed the mast to have a bearing and rag joint at the bottom.used a short gm pitman arm.Bent to swing under the oil pan rail.Hooked it up with 2 tie rod ends and one of the split tie rod end connectors.Not sure this would work with a Stud.motor as I have a small block mopar in mine.

Comment

Aloha: I peruse Craig's list.A couple of hot rod Stude ads refer to using a power rack and pinion steering. My 55 Comander coupe steers hard and shifts hard so I'm shoping for a power steering. I want to keep column shift(3 speed).Does anyone reading this know about using the power rack and pinion in a Stude.If so what's it from?It might solve all of our problems.Aloha Jim Ayling---Honolulu

Comment

Check this page out. Might help.
                    http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...randppage.html

Comment

This is a noble quest. Advances in restoration and in old vehicle upgrades come from just this type of research. If you are able to come up with a workable solution you will be a hero in the Stude world!

Maybe Gord "MacGyver" Richmond (gordr) will see this and have some ideas.

Good luck.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Does anyone reading this know about using the power rack and pinion in a Stude.If so what's it from?It might solve all of our problems.Aloha Jim Ayling---Honolulu
                        Jim, a search will find a dozen detailed threads about various attempts at rack and pinion steering. You've got days and days of reading to catch up on.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

One thought comes to mind. Instead of searching the known Universe for a reverse-rotation steering box that fits, how about using whatever power steering box that best fits the Stude location (undoubtedly custom brackets will be required), and then, if the rotation is wrong, make up a little box with a pair of gears in it to reverse the rotation between the steering wheel and the worm? You will need to alter the column anyway because the Stude (Avanti's excepted) have a solid steering shaft, and the donor car for the box had a 2-piece shaft with a rag joint. So you shorten up the Stude column, attach a small box containing two pinions (like oil pump gears, maybe?), with a fitting for a rag joint or a Borgeson joint. Going this route would also give you some design flexibility in the placement of the box and its orientation.

There are literally hundreds of places from which one could salvage some suitable gears; a planet gear and sun gear from an old overdrive or automatic transmission come to mind. The trick would be in ensuring that they were securely attached to their respective shafts.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

That's an interesting idea, Gord. I have used steering quickeners on race cars, so I wonder if somebody like Howe racing already makes something like you suggest.

I did see this page about reverse rotation boxes, don't know if it helps:

http://www.hermtheoverdriveguy.com/id83.htm

And, some other sites:

http://knol.google.com/k/dara-greane...ufnxrgh1yie/28#
                            http://www.bizrate.com/automotive-pa...arbox-reverse/
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                              This is a noble quest. Advances in restoration and in old vehicle upgrades come from just this type of research. If you are able to come up with a workable solution you will be a hero in the Stude world!

Maybe Gord "MacGyver" Richmond (gordr) will see this and have some ideas.

Good luck.
                              Bob, I received your PM but was unable to reply since your inbox was full.

Comment

Working...
                              X