Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 59-60 Lark Hood hinge question

I have a few of these and all seem to have the same problem
    The back corners of the hood will hit the tops of the fenders if you raise the hood up to high
    seems like a design flaw ?? any one know any tricks to correct this ??

How big is the gap between the hood & cowl? I have noticed too that the hood hinge base should be paralell with the base its bolted to. If it is on even a slight angle, the hood will not open properly. As designed the hood should raise up & forward, away from the cowl & unless the hood is opened too far, when held by the prop rod, there should be at least 1" clearance to the top of the fender. On one of my vehicles I noticed the hood hinge base (bolted area) on one side is on a very slight angle & on that side the hood comes close to the top of the fender while the other side that is even has plenty of clearance. Hope this helps!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I posted this also in the general section also but thought I'd copy it here too since its the same topic.

As far as the hood alignment goes I have 2 good examples here, my 60 Lark parts car & the 62 Champ. Both have the same hood hinge arrangement as yours. When the hood is fully closed is the hood even with the cowl & fenders (along the gaps)? Where the hinge bolts to the cowl make sure the hinge is bolted evenly with the level of the bracket on the cowl. It will probably be around 1/4" below the top of the bracket- thats where the horizontal level to the adjoining panels comes into effect. Adjustments would be easier if you have someone assisting holding the hood up & even better if you remove the spring while adjusting, then reinstall the spring before you check the alignment. It may be a bit tedious but well worth while. Let us know what you find & how you make out.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
      X