Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1965 Cruiser tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Cruiser tranny

My '65 Cruiser is a V-8 w/automatic car. I have a couple of questions:

1. What automatic tranny came in that year Studebaker?
    2. How difficult is it to put a late model GM overdrive automatic in the car and which tranny would you suggest? (I will be using the original engine with a few minor modifications.)

Thanks for the help,
    Joe Roberts
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

I believe they were all HD (water cooled) Flight-O-Matics behind the Chevy V8...the same trany that was standard with the Jet Thrust 63-64 Studes.

You'd need a new flex plate and torque converter, fabricate a trans crossmember and mount, shift and kickdown linkage and driveshaft. I don't know about clearance with the tunnel and floorboard.

Both the TH700R4 and TH2004R would work fine. The 200 is a little smaller package and not as deep a low gear.

V8's came with both 27 and 44 axles...flanged and keyed. If you have a 44 flanged you're golden...if not, consider an axle swap as well if you are going to have any extra HP.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The 700R4 was replaced by the 4L60 which should work as well. Newer GM's used the electronically shifted 4L60E which would also work with a harness and a controller if you're electronically gifted .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

They weren't HD, Dick.HD may have been an option, butthey weren't standard.
        I've got a couple of standard V8 auto trannys from 65-66 cars here if someone needs one.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote: They weren't HD, Dick. HD may have been an option, but they weren't standard.
          I've got a couple of standard V8 auto trannys from 65-66 cars here if someone needs one.
          When I first got Sweet Pea she did indeed have a radiator with the line in the bottom tank for cooling, but someone early on added a trans cooler, instead!!! Dad has that original radiator somewhere... I HOPE!!!
          My production order doesn't mention being ordered with a 'H/D' unit, nor was the car 'messed with' prior to my purchasing it back in '91- It's GOT to be a heavy-duty unit, because she's not had an easy life~ and is still going- 200,000 miles later!!!! [:0] [^]

Bob- just put one of those things in the trunk, and we'll discuss it later...

StudeDave [8D]
          V/P San Diego County SDC
          San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
          '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
          '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
          '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
          '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
          '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver