59 Lark Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: 59 Lark Paint

Has any one come up with any new car paint close to or matching White Sand? If not does any one have the mix formula?

I would like to get it off the shelf, so to speak, because I want to get into all the areas like under the hood and the door jams etc... before I send it out for paint. This would give me time to remove lots of small stuff and make it a complete job.

Thanks.

Ray-Lin's Technical pages lists a formula for White Sand.
    http://www.raylinrestoration.com/
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Being your out here in fruit loop land with me, the formula wont do much good because we are regulated to only water borne paint now as its been that way for the past couple years. If you have a part such as the gas door where the paint is in good condition (or can be polished to a shine) any major paint jobber can mix to match. Whatever you do, dont "cocktail" meaning dont mix cheap reducers or catalists with another brand color. Buy it all from the same manufacturer. If you dont have a good panel to match to then perhaps take a road trip out of the confines of AQMD to where you can buy paint that is used in the rest of the country (at least for now).
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

What I was looking for is some newer car that might be a close match. That way I could possibly get some in a spray can and touch up the engine bay and door jams.

Comment

You will never get a close enough match that way.
          And when the "professionally applied" paint goes on next to it, it will look like...well, a rattle can job!
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-30-2011, 08:22 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This is the situation. I want to drive my car and do every day type stuff. I cant spray the car at home and don't watch to pay thousands for paint job only to get it run into from a shoping cart or crap on the freeway. So, with some good prep it will be of to Macco, unless some one can come up with an idea how to get a good cheap paint job, or I that an oxymoron?

Comment

I have seen some good paint jobs from Maaco but it depends on the material they use. Ask what brand & line of paint they use for what price. If you remove all the mouldings, door handles, lock cylinders, bumpers, ect you'll no doubt get a better job. Then I would call a local jobber that handles the brand & line of paint they said they will use & ask about durability & quality. If the answers satisfy what your looking for then go for it. Any areas that may need prep dont bother priming & painting because it may cause more problems with the material they will use, if not right away, in the future.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Yes, that's why I wanted a standard color so I could get a batch and do the stuff they wont, or not without me removing the engine. I could always get them to make up some extra so I could do it afterwards. My engine bay is partial body with black at the moment.

Comment

Is one day paint & body still in business in Ca.? IF so, (macco may also do this) bring in your own paint and ask them to spray it. We did that on a couple of cars we did when I was in So. Cal. but, That was also 25 years ago! The price didn't change, but the quality of the paint did!

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                  X