48 Champ heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 48 Champ heater

Is there a better replacement for the under seat heater with the miles of heater hose and ducting?

No. Those under seat heaters can cook you out of the car. The defroster has some issues; specifically, restricted coolant flow. Once the cabin is heated, cabin air flows through the defroster. Fortunately, few of us are still running these in ten degree weather.
    Last edited by rockne10; 06-25-2011, 12:34 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      No. Those under seat heaters can cook you out of the car. The defroster has some issues; specifically, restricted coolant flow. Once the cabin is heated, cabin air flows through the defroster. Fortunately, few of us are still running these in ten degree weather.
      Unless I am misunderstanding your response Brad, I am a little confused with your remarks about the defroster. My '48 has a separate heater coil and blower for the defroster and works great. Where some of these cars get into a little trouble is that the driver's feet can get cold if the deflector for the heat distribution under the seat is obstructed. Also, if the brake, clutch and accelerator boots are torn or missing, cold air can rush in and keep the driver's feet cold.

When I had a four speed hawk, the under seat heater did not get heated air to my feet. What I did for that car was make a "Y" adapter for the defroster heater duct and fixed it to blow at my feet. Worked great!

If you think all that heater hose is difficult, try changing the four inches of a mid eighties GM V6 front wheel drive cars with the transverse mounted engine. You can change out all the long heater hoses on both the under seat and defrost heaters on a '51 Land Cruiser in less time and with fewer skinned knuckles.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My 48 Business Coupe never had a under seat heater or defroster. It had a cover where the under seat was and a tack welded plate over the defroster. There was a under dash heater with a plate on the front that says 4 Way by Studebaker.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
          My 48 Business Coupe never had a under seat heater or defroster. It had a cover where the under seat was and a tack welded plate over the defroster. There was a under dash heater with a plate on the front that says 4 Way by Studebaker.
          For cars destined for sale in the deep south, it was not unusual for buyers to fore go such things as heaters and defrosters. When I was a kid, I couldn't understand why folks would buy a car that did not have options such as turn signals, heaters, radios, clocks, back up lights, or rear view mirrors.

However, as a young married college student buying our first new car and stretching every dime, I refused to buy a new Volkswagen with a factory radio. Why...I thought it would be foolish to include another eighty or so dollars to a three-year financing deal!

A couple of weeks after buying the car, I found a brand new radio at a Ben Franklin Store bankruptcy sale for under fifteen bucks. "Back in the day." it was not unusual to find base model cars that were bare of anything that didn't make the car run.

Heck, Studebaker even offered cars without interior lights and some with only one tail light! My '55 truck had only one tail light, no interior light, no interior rearview mirror, and only a sun visor for the driver. Many of the under dash fire wall heaters were installed by dealers and it is not unusual to see the same heater in cars made several years apart.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
          X