Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know I have done something wrong.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: I know I have done something wrong.......

I changed rear end in my Hawk. I went to a 3.07 open rear axle to make it run a little slower on the highway. The axles that came with the rear end had bad keyways on them, and another set of axles was sent. Got new bearings from O'Reilley Auto parts and a machine shop installed them. After it was all put together, there is 3/16" end play in both axles. I am at a loss to explain how that could be unless the center hole in the bearings is different than the originals. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
    I changed rear end in my Hawk. I went to a 3.07 open rear axle to make it run a little slower on the highway. The axles that came with the rear end had bad keyways on them, and another set of axles was sent. Got new bearings from O'Reilley Auto parts and a machine shop installed them. After it was all put together, there is 3/16" end play in both axles. I am at a loss to explain how that could be unless the center hole in the bearings is different than the originals. Any thoughts?
    If your old rear end was a TT, yes the centering block in the center of the Diff. is different than a open axle, that could be why it needs re-shimming. But something is not right like Bearings not pressed all the way on the axle, or axles not "bumped" to the left if you have any play at all on the left, it should be 0.

They were both Model 27 or 44's right?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Old rear end was not a TT. So does not have a block. I changed the whole rear end. Might be the bearings, but they only go on so far.

Comment

Working...
      X