Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Correct horn ring mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct horn ring mounting

I just acquired a 1947 Commander starlight coupe. When I turned the steering wheel the horn would blow. I removed the horn ring and found a conglomeration or mixed screws, chunks of rubber to prevent grounding of the horn ring and a general mess.
    How is the horn ring suppose to be held away from the steering wheel unless the horn is intendended to be used? Is there suppose to be a spring?
    Are the correct parts available? Is there a recommended fix?
    Thanks in advance.

There's no "spring". Those remnants of rubber bits are from a foam rubber ring that has three holes into which fit hollow insulators thru which screws go to hold the ring to the wheel.
    It's really the rubber "pad" you probably need. Part#520411

Seems to me that someone had these repro'd not too long ago. I may have a "servicable" one around here someplace, but check with the vendors first.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Chances are also good that the horn wire itself is frayed and shorting out further down the column somewhere.

Comment

I don't mean to de-rail this thread, but my Shop Manual says "Remove the horn button..." with no further instructions, prior to pulling the steering wheel. How do you do this? I don't have a horn ring, just a central button.

Las Vegas, NV
        '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Paul... Disconnect the battery, push the horn button in slightly turn about 45 degrees to the left or right and it should then be removeable..

Buddy...'54 Champion 2dr
          Warner Robins, GA 31088
          478-953-3077

Comment

Thanks... didn't try that yet, although I tried just about everything else.

Las Vegas, NV
            '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

quote:It's really the rubber "pad" you probably need. Part#520411

Seems to me that someone had these repro'd not too long ago.
              SI lists these for $10.00 on page 131 of their catalog.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Yeah, it turns to the left to remove it.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy1944 View Post
                  Paul... Disconnect the battery, push the horn button in slightly turn about 45 degrees to the left or right and it should then be removeable..

Buddy...'54 Champion 2dr
                  Warner Robins, GA 31088
                  478-953-3077
                  scott... 51 champion... it's not working...

Comment

The rubber may have hardened and glued itself to the metal. Turn with firm pressure until it lets loose.
                    28 dictator
                    40 commander

Comment

If you have a horn-ring, it is held in to the horn-ring with a rubber O-ring. Always a little tricky to pry out if it is stuck for some reason. In fact--DON"T PRY!. You'll just chip the thin plastic lip.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

When you are trying to remove the button, pressing your palm against the button kind of roll your hand around a bit whilst twisting. That should break it loose without breaking the button. With the Larks, one almost has to pry to get them off. Especially if they're stuck.

By the by, the part you are trying to replace is called a 'sponge,' or 'push back.' Bob, the Catalogue from S.I. lists that Sponge as for Horn Rings, not just the plain button. Will it still work?
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hey Clunk,
                          If the Bob you're referring to is Mr. Biggs, I don't think he is listening. That input was from 2007.
                          KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by studeboy28 View Post
                            The rubber may have hardened and glued itself to the metal. Turn with firm pressure until it lets loose.
                            no horn ring, just the button.

i've tried pushing down and turning firmly in both directions until i practically had blisters. it doesn't move more than 3/8". i've been away all weekend and haven't looked at it again, but do you think i might be able to squirt some wd40 in there to loosen the bond?

Comment

If it's a grey painted horn button, you push and turn. If it's the red plastic button, you have to pry it up VERY carefully. Pry a tiny bit at a time and work your way all around the button.

Comment

Working...
                              X