Chevy 350 in 57 Silverhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy 350 in 57 Silverhawk

I need help finding some brackets that will make this engine sit in my hawk, I have cut and welded some stands on the factory 289 motor cradles, but the accessory brackets that I will be using will not clear the stock hood, which I am not going to change. If the engine was striped down, the hood would barely clear, but I am using a single belt system off of a chevy truck from 1990. The biggest problem I have is the steering is badly in the way, I purchased a universal engine cradle from Trans-dapt, but it welds between the frame rails and the steering would hit it if I were to use it. I have this motor hanging in the engine compartment, ready to go in, so help asap!!

post reply, or call me I need help bad!! I have plenty in the budget to buy whatever I need to make this thing happen

Scott 770-882-4254

Be ready for the..."oh no..not a brand X conversion!"...comments!

Sorry I can't help as I've not done a swap like that..but it really shouldn't be that hard. You may have to do more cutting and welding on your mount to get the oil pan VERY close to the steering pivot. The pan needs to be very shallow in the front to get the engine low enough. You may have to try an alternate pan design. OR....hammer out a properly located "dent" in the pan to clear both the crank shaft AND the steering.

Mike

Comment

I would just stop right where you are and develop a plan.

Unless you know what you are going to be doing...step by step...you'll be throwing a bunch of time and money at this project experimenting and probably never get it on the road. No swaps are easy. They all involve engineering, fabrication, compromise. If you haven't done one before, they are even tougher because every time you think you have one system nailed, you get surprised that it interferes with another and you have to undo all your work and go back to square one. There are FAR more failed and abandoned swaps out there than completed ones.

For example, why did you select the Chevy truck serpentine belt system? If it isn't going to fit in your application, you'll need a different system. Why did you select the height to mount the engine? If it won't clear the hood, it won't work. Will it clear the firewall? transmission tunnel? steering? how about pinion angle? room for a radiator? Everything has to work together. No one item on the swap "to do" list can be done without considering all other items. You'll get bit in the butt every time.

I have a Chevy V8 in my '54. Stock hood (much lower than your '57), stock steering. It can be done. Not easy...but no swap is easy.

If you have "plenty in the budget" and have not done swaps before, I'd suggest you find a good hot rod shop in the area and have them engineer the swap for you. My guess is that an experienced shop could do the basics in about 200 hours. That's about $10,000 at $50/hour (you supply all the parts). Quite frankly that would probably be far cheaper than doing it yourself if you are inexperienced AND you wouldn't ruin a good Hawk in the process.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I centainly don't have $10,000 to do this swap, but buying some cradles that somebody makes for couple hundred dollars is really all I meant. I have done swaps in the past, most swaps I do don't have any steering related issues. I can do the whole project, this is the only thing I need help with-so far. I have already considered raditor, exhaust headers, transmission tunnel, trans crossmember, but this is the only thing holding me up. I selected the belt system because it's clean, easy to maintain, no flipped over or uneven belts, plus I have a vintage air system for this car and I am going to be using the a/c comp that comes with the bracket system. Any help would be nice, some pictures of now your chevy v-8 is in your 54, if it has the same type steering system

Comment

There is a fellow in Canada who I'm told manufactures exactly what you are looking for. His name is George Sacher, and I have only a phone number (306) 373-1180. Last I heard these would cost a little over $100 plus shipping.

Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studey350

I centainly don't have $10,000 to do this swap, but buying some cradles that somebody makes for couple hundred dollars is really all I meant. I have done swaps in the past, most swaps I do don't have any steering related issues. I can do the whole project, this is the only thing I need help with-so far. I have already considered raditor, exhaust headers, transmission tunnel, trans crossmember, but this is the only thing holding me up. I selected the belt system because it's clean, easy to maintain, no flipped over or uneven belts, plus I have a vintage air system for this car and I am going to be using the a/c comp that comes with the bracket system. Any help would be nice, some pictures of now your chevy v-8 is in your 54, if it has the same type steering system
            So who makes a custom cradle to install your particular version of a 350 into a Silver Hawk? The same outfit that makes a custom cradle to put a Jag V12 into a Borgward Isabella?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but you are asking for a manufactured part to solve a problem that MAY BE unique to your particular application. Now, it may come as a surpise to you, but the Studebaker factory themselves put GM sixes and 283 V8s into sedans and station wagons for the '65 and '66 model years. Unfortunately, the brackets they engineered won't work in a hawk, because the engine sits lower and further back in a Hawk. Point is: there aren't going to be parts in a catalog that will do the job for you.

You are going to have issues with clearance between the left side exhaust manifold and the steering box. Ram's horn manifolds or block-hugger headers ought to help.

I suspect you are going to have to buy an accessory drive system froma hotrod supplier to get something sufficiently compact to fit under the hood. Chevy trucks have PLENTY of room under the hood, so GM didn't see the need to make the accessory drive compact.

Another approach might be to replace the Stude center-point steering system with a Cavalier power steering rack, mounted just behind the frame crossmember. The Cavalier rack tie rods take off from the center of the rack, so it's pretty compatible with the suspension, as far as bump-steer isssues go. I know of several Hawks running around with that conversion; it's not speculation on my part. While that would not necessarily gain you much room up front, it would give more freedom to move the engine around without the clearance constraints imposed by the steering box.

Hope this helps.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I was kicking the idea around about installing a rack and pinion, but not really thought about from what car to use it from, but the cavi R&P would work good, since the tie rods bolt in the center, I could use the studey tie arms I assuming? What about a rag joint? Maybe from a little cherokee? they're pretty versatile...thanks for that tip! Also I'm calling the guy in Canada right now

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studey350
                some pictures of now your chevy v-8 is in your 54, if it has the same type steering system
                Here's the 327 in my '54. I have a T10 4 speed behind it. No AC, but there is plenty of room on the driver's side.

Stock fan shroud. Engine driven fan only (no electric fan). Short pump. The alternator mount is from Alan Grove http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/ . They have a good selection of accessory mounts. I doubt if you are going to get a long water pump set up in there...especially with Chevy truck accessory mounts.

My hood is a lot lower than yours. It should be easier in a Hawk

The front mounts are from Chassis Engineering http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/ . They are universal SBC mounts and have to be cut to fit. You should also gusset them or put a doubler on the frame due to the light gauge of the Studebaker frame rails.

Here's the passenger side...

Here's the driver's side...

They are generic block hugger headers, but I had to move the steering box back 1/2" and down 1/2 inch to clear. Obviously the reach rod had to then be lengthened.

Here's the trans mount...

It's simply a plate welded to the existing wing shaped crossmember under the front of the doors.

Good luck with your swap. Don't start cutting or welding until it is ALL mocked up.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

If you want to do a rack and pinion, this one would probably be the easiest...

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I currently have a pair of Studebaker/Chevy conversion motor mounts listed on Ebay. The mounts are designed to cradle the Chevy motor -thus lowering it for better hood clearance. Here is a link:

Comment

Working...
                    X