No announcement yet.

6 volt battery cable upgrade to 2/0 gauge, car starts much better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 6 volt battery cable upgrade to 2/0 gauge, car starts much better

I upgraded my 54 champion from 2 gauge cables on the positive and negative battery terminals to 2/0 gauge cables. he car cranks faster, and starts much better, especially warm. Both cables were the 24" length versions from my local Fleet Farm store, and they were less than $10 each in the battery section. These heavy cables are meant for tractors or heavy equipment, and I used a black cable for both units.

Best $20 I ever spent !
    54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert

Great! Easier than converting to 12 volt.

Comment

That's what I used on my '54 Champ. It started in the coldest weather with no issues.
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Me, too. Kept the 6 volt and went to 00 cables. They look pretty tough, too. I also bought my battery from a farm supply. The car is flooding (rebuilt carb on the way), but that battery and those cables always got it started again. And I learned it all through the SDC and this forum.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0434.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1668345
          don't know what the flat cable is rated, but it replaced a 2 gauge cable and it's faster starting!
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I use #00 for all of my 12 volt, in the trunk conversions also. Works very well. I normally use welding cable for its use of MANY fine wires rather than just a few stiff wires. Never really have had any problems with the insulation like some seem to warn about.

None of the #2 or #3 cables they sell in "conversion kits". The smaller wire sizes just don't let the amps flow freely..!

Mike

Comment

Connect the positive cable to a starter mounting bolt, make sure the ground strap from engine to frame is in good shape. My 55 President sounds and feels like it's got 12 volt to it. I had custom cables made up. Starts without hesitation hot or cold.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Found out why my car runs rich. When installing the rebuilt carb, noticed a seal missing on the heat riser tube to the automatic choke. Sucking in hot air from the manifold after it's warmed up. Gawd I wish my good old boy would have read the manual.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Speaking as an electrical engineer, having the heavier gauge cable is paramount for 6 volt systems. The reason that cars start better with the heavier cables isn't just because the stater turns the engine over faster. It is also because the cable has a low resistance and when starting, there is less voltage drop across the cable. This allows more voltage for the ignition system to function properly.
                  1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
                  See rescue progress here on this blog:
                  http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree with the increased gauge. When I installed my new Cathcart Stg-4 Eng in 2002 I rebonded all motor-trans-frame-body points with fresh NAPA braided bonding straps.
                    The 6-Volt Pos Grd Batt cable is a heavy duty braided strap and the Neg cable (with in-line disconnect) is #00. Have enjoyed strong cranking and quick starts ever since.
                    Definitely the way to go.
                    StudeBakerHarv
                    * 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe (Cathcart Stg 4 Engine)
                    * 1971 Avanti II (RQB-1659).

Comment

Working...
                    X