Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeMann
    replied
    She's beautiful! My Elsie will eventually be repainted in her original Comanche Red color which is a nice burgundy red.

BTW, I nick-named my previous 51 Champion 'Rusty' due to her unfortunate 'skin condition'.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• mausersmth
    replied
    My Elsie is a rusty red too:

But I don't think she needs any repairs. . .

Leave a comment:

• BRUCESTUDE
    replied
    Hey Jim- Yes the sheet metal seems to be the same thickness, I didn't measure it tho. I did have to straighten out some minor curving, and remove sound deadener from the door pieces too.

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    replied
    Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
    I've been using sheet metal from a '52 Champion parts car to make patch panels for my '64 daytona HT. (Have it about 3/4 painted now) I like to think this is the ultimate in Studebaker recycling!
    Good for you. I guess you need to flatten some of the curves out of the 52 steel for the more angular 64. Is the metal the same thickness?
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• BRUCESTUDE
    replied
    I've been using sheet metal from a '52 Champion parts car to make patch panels for my '64 daytona HT. (Have it about 3/4 painted now) I like to think this is the ultimate in Studebaker recycling!

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
    I'm jealous that you were about to remove the fender bolts without them breaking off or just spinning the weld nut. That's usually what happens to me.....
    Mike Sal
    Mike,

You just can't see the two bolts below this one that are broken off!

Actually, I am fortunate that the rust is as minimal as it is in this car considering it's from Ohio and Pennsylvania. Fortunately, much of that time was spent garaged and not in use.
    Last edited by StudeMann; 06-19-2011, 09:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Sal
    replied
    I'm jealous that you were about to remove the fender bolts without them breaking off or just spinning the weld nut. That's usually what happens to me.....
    Mike Sal

Leave a comment:

• StudeMann
    started a topic Body / Glass: Started rust Repair on Elsie

Started rust Repair on Elsie

I have started the rust repair on Elsie, my 51 Land Cruiser. I have cut out the rust and and made the patch panels from new 18 ga. steel. Next weekend, my teenage son will teach me how to use the MIG welder I bought used. It's been nearly 30 years since I did oxy/acetylene welding on a friend's Triumph Spitfire. I'm really looking forward to learning to weld again.

Cheers!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by StudeMann; 06-19-2011, 09:03 PM.
Working...
X