No announcement yet.

New owner, new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing the manual I orderd will have something on this but does any one have a picture or an exploded view of this?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Since this is a recently rebuilt Engine there is a very good chance that someone left the Oil Gallery Plug in the Distributor tower (hole) almost hidden behind the Core Plug out of the Engine on assembly, which causes the Oil to the Camshaft to dump into the Pan, of course losing most of the pressure.

This often happens when non-Stude. familiar Machinists or Mechanics try assembling them.

Comment

The plug we're talking about is inside the block. When you take out the distributor, and look down the hole, you will find the plug toward the front of the engine (toward the radiator) - directly in front of where the distributor would be if it were installed, and about two inches down. If you see a hole instead of a plug... you may have found your problem

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Well when you say it like that it sounds simple enough. I'll check it out.
        Is it possible to tell if the dizzy isn't all the way down when it's in place? Like is there a flange that should be sitting flush with the block or anything obvious?

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
        The plug we're talking about is inside the block. When you take out the distributor, and look down the hole, you will find the plug toward the front of the engine (toward the radiator) - directly in front of where the distributor would be if it were installed, and about two inches down. If you see a hole instead of a plug... you may have found your problem

Comment

Originally posted by yoshimitsuspeed View Post
          Well when you say it like that it sounds simple enough. I'll check it out.
          Is it possible to tell if the dizzy isn't all the way down when it's in place? Like is there a flange that should be sitting flush with the block or anything obvious?
          Yes there is a flange on the Dist., exactly correct.
          The method I like the best because it is the easiest is; get the #1 Piston (front drivers side) on TDC by checking the Rotor location and the timing mark or checking that both rocker arms on #1 are loose (with valve cover off) proving compression stroke, not exhaust stroke on #1.

Then drop the Dist. until the Cam gear meshes with Rotor at #1. The Dist. rotates Counterclockwise so move it about half the distance of one plug tower BEFORE #1 and it should drop about right, it most likely will not go all the way down due to the Oil Pump slot not being lined up, but no problem.
          Just lightly hold the Dist. down while you "bump" the engine with a remote starter switch, Ignition OFF in Park or Neutral, wheels blocked. It should drop right into the Oil Pump slot with only slight movement, install the hold down clip and bolt.

I would do this of course AFTER checking for the missing Oil Gallery Plug.

IF this is your problem, you will NOT be the first!
          Here is another post with good Pics:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t=Gallery+plug
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-20-2011, 02:27 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I got the car home today. I pulled the dizzy and I couldn't see a plug in the hole but I spun the pump with a drill and got pressure. The stock gauge is stuck at max so I hooked up one I had and read 80 psi with the drill. I also didn't see any oil spurt into the dizzy hole so I'm assuming that plug must be in there. The batt was dead and pretty empty so I filled it with distilled water and put it on the charger hoping it would take a charge. We re timed the dizzy and rocked it back and forth in third gear till the oil pump popped in. I'm still waiting to see if the batt takes a charge so I can try to get it to crank, If not I'll grab a new one tomorrow.
            If I get it running should I time it to factory specs or is there anything to be gained with more advance? I'm at 8000 feet if that matters at all.
            Thank you guys for all the info.

Comment

Working...
            X