I successfully adjusted my valves today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: I successfully adjusted my valves today

Guys, I finally screwed up the courage to do a much-needed valve adjustment on Barney this morning. Took me about 3 hours, because I am the slow 'n methodical type, and I've never done this job before.

I have to say that it was MUCH MORE CONFUSING reading about adjusting the valves than it was doing the actual adjustment! This is truly one of those operations that you just have to jump in and do, and not sweat over.

I used the method in the Shop Manual, adjusting one cylinder at a time with a test light indicating firing position. I adjusted the valves cold to 0.026", using a socket on the alternator pulley bolt to turn the engine over (since my fan is a Viscous Drive) and once the first couple were done, the rest were a cinch. The car fired up right away and is much happier now!

Thanks to everyone who's posted on this topic over the years, from Dwain, Sal and Rich to Ross and Dick. I appreciate all the good information you've put up!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Congratulations! Often the hardest part of any job (especially the one you have never done before) is GETTING STARTED! Good for you!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

looking forward to a full and complete story on your blog with pictures.
      Peter Bishop
      Director,
      Northeast Zone

Comment

It does run a lot better, doesn't it, Clark? People just don't realize how important valve adjustment is on Studebaker OHV engines. And it doesn't cost anything except maybe a new rocker arm cover gasket.

Congrats on your successful completion. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks guys. And Peter, you get your wish: I posted a detailed procedure and pics at http://studeblogger.blogspot.com/201...ebaker-v8.html .

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
            Guys, I finally screwed up the courage to do a much-needed valve adjustment on Barney this morning. Took me about 3 hours, because I am the slow 'n methodical type, and I've never done this job before.

I have to say that it was MUCH MORE CONFUSING reading about adjusting the valves than it was doing the actual adjustment! This is truly one of those operations that you just have to jump in and do, and not sweat over.

I used the method in the Shop Manual, adjusting one cylinder at a time with a test light indicating firing position. I adjusted the valves cold to 0.026", using a socket on the alternator pulley bolt to turn the engine over (since my fan is a Viscous Drive) and once the first couple were done, the rest were a cinch. The car fired up right away and is much happier now!

Thanks to everyone who's posted on this topic over the years, from Dwain, Sal and Rich to Ross and Dick. I appreciate all the good information you've put up!
            I used to do it hot with the engine running- never again (can you say spattered with oil with skinned knuckles?).
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
            X