Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Jetting an Edelbrock 1403

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Jetting an Edelbrock 1403

Been using Edelbrock 4bbl carbs for a while, always seemed to work well but ran rich. When I put the last car together (63 Daytona 259) I had a bung welded in the exhaust for an O2 sensor so I could plug in the Innovate LM-1 air/fuel analyzer and solve the problem once and for all.

Not surprisingly, the stock 500CFM carb is jetted too rich. I stepped the main down from .086 to .083 and still was running rich at cruise. Dropping down to .080 gives a very slightly rich condition - around 14.0 - 14.5, very acceptable as the ideal is 14.6 according to Edelbrock. Going a little richer gives better performance, a little leaner better economy.

Acceleration was still rich, I wound up with a 1463 (067 x 055) metering rod and a lighter step-up spring (yellow, set for 4" vacuum. stock is orange, 5" vacuum)

I'll drive it for a while and see how I like it and what the plugs look like after a few hundred miles, but it seems to get off the line much better.

Might play with a 1406 later and see if there is any difference.

Excellent info Pat - thanks for posting!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Pat -

Dont forget to mess with the springs in the metering rod pistons..

They'll have a lot to do with the cruise fuel. They'll change the position of the rod inside the jet. "Just" changing the jet is only 1/3'd of the adjustment available on the "primary jet" end of things.

So you have to adjust -

1. the jet
      2. the metering rod
      3 the vacuum piston spring

These all seperatly and together, have a great effect on the primary side fuel metering.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike - that's the spring I mentioned.

The biggest discovery was how small a main jet was needed. The adjustment Edelbrock sells only goes down to .083, I had to order the smaller one.

Comment

Interesting.
          My 259 has one step smaller main jet, don't recall which rod and the middle set of springs (been years since I tuned the thing..!). It's actually a tad on the lean side. I have the idle mixture scews out a little too far, that's just enough to help the overall mixture.

Mike

Comment

Running a mild cam (sort of an ST-2 if there were such a thing) and 2 1'2" duals on a fresh rebuild. I'll keep an eye on it to see what it does.

Comment

thanks for the good info.
              I am having trouble with my 1403 as well. Have the calibration kit, but only goes to .083 jet as you mentioned.
              I am getting very poor mileage, and it seems to really suck the gas!
              Funny, my car came from Los Feliz last year!

Comment

OK, pulled the old cast iron manifold and installed an aftermarket aluminum intake with the carb heat passage blocked. Paid close attention to eliminating possible vacuum leaks, put a different 1403 on it as one of the rods was sticking on the other one. Used the stock spring and rod ( orange 5" vacuum spring, 1460 (065 x 052) rod) with a .083 main jet. It's right at 14.6 at idle, low 13s on acceleration and low 14s at cruise. I'll run it this way for a few days and play with timing to see if I can improve low RPM performance as it's still a bit pokey off the line.

Comment

Working...
                X