1961 Lark Taillight Lens Installation Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1961 Lark Taillight Lens Installation Help Needed

Has anyone installed the reproduction taillight lens from Chuck Collins? The original screws for my lens have a bevel on the, but the reproduction lens don't have the chamfer for it to mate up to. As a result the head of the screw sticks up and looks terrible. I talked to Chuck yesterday and he said that nobody has complained of this issue.

What type of screw was originally used on the 1961 lens? I'm guessing that mine may have been changed in the last fifty years.

Thank you,
    Nick

Earliest Studebaker plastic lenses (1953) used a fillister head screw. Phillips, not slotted.

Been too long since I owned anything newer to remember.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Here's a picture of mine. the chamfer sits right down into the brass ferrules that protect the plastic lense itself. They sit practically flush, with just a slight dome coming up.
      Attached Files
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Awesome, thank you for the picture. That is exactly what my original lens look like. The brass ferrule on the new lens won't allow the screw to recess into the lens. I will post a picture tomorrow after work when I have some light.

Rockne, Studebaker must have used that screw or similar for a while because my 64 uses a similar one on the front parking light lens.

Thank you both for replying,

Nick

Originally posted by silverhawk View Post
        Here's a picture of mine. the chamfer sits right down into the brass ferrules that protect the plastic lense itself. They sit practically flush, with just a slight dome coming up.

Comment

Screw too big?

Maybe your screw is not the correct size {too big}and if so the correct screw may not thread into the maybe too big anchor hole. If that is a problem for you, just fill the anchor hole area with a bit of JB Weld or the like and drill it to the proper size anchor hole. jimmijim
          Originally posted by 61Lark View Post
          Awesome, thank you for the picture. That is exactly what my original lens look like. The brass ferrule on the new lens won't allow the screw to recess into the lens. I will post a picture tomorrow after work when I have some light.

Rockne, Studebaker must have used that screw or similar for a while because my 64 uses a similar one on the front parking light lens.

Thank you both for replying,

Nick
          Last edited by jimmijim8; 06-16-2011, 10:53 PM.
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Nick, in Dylan's picture that's what I have, the beveled screw with the brass ferrule.

Are you in need of a few? I know i trashed my old cracked lenses, I'll see if I kept the screws,
            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Jim,

Too big of a screw could be part of my problem, but isn't the whole issue. I'll post pictures tonight to show whats going on.

Kevin,

I've got screws and I'm hoping that they are the correct ones also. I'm going to look through my grandfather's old parts to see if his bases are the same as mine.

Nick

Comment

Here are a couple of pictures that show the ferules on the new lens.

Comment

Based on your photo, compared to Dylan's, the repros do not have the factory ferrules. Best you're going to get, unless you want to do the machining necessary to be factory perfect, is to find a similar screw with a smaller head.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10,
                  '51 Commander Starlight,
                  '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                  '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I wonder if some of the interior style screws would work best? Those small heads would probably work great! Plus, it looks as though there is a opportunity to make the screws less obtrusive
                    Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to talk to Chuck this week at Springfield and see what can be done with them.

Nick

Comment

It is very clear and very simple Nick what has happened from your good Pics, the ferrules simply are NOT beveled so they require a flat head screw instead of a countersunk tapered screw, to look correct the fix is not going to be easy.
                        I am very sorry to hear that, because I was planning on a New set for my '61 Cruiser.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-18-2011, 10:31 AM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                        X