Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

No ideas anyone?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Comment

Ron,

Several things come to mind.......

The hard shifting when cold is typical in the manuals that I have. My '54 sedan with T86 is worse than the others, however. I'm thinking about going to the 'alternate' non-detergent SAE motor oil that Studebaker allowed; right now it has GL-1 gear lube in it. I have heard tha the synthetics are a real effective cure for this, but I have not tried those yet.

Have you adjusted the linkage per the shop manual? I've seen several places (may have also been in the shop manual) that recommended adjusting out one of the shift rods a little more if the first to second shift is difficult. Can't remember if it was Dwain G.'s shift adjustment instructions, or a Service Letter, or the shop manual.

In this thread http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=Dwain+linkage, Dwain says he has several pages of info on adjusting the shift linkage that he can send electroncially.
      Last edited by r1lark; 06-18-2011, 05:48 AM. Reason: Added more info........
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I've readjusted the linkage twice, and yes, I do favor it a bit to make shifting better. It does seem temperature plays a role, yet it's the same old Ford Tractor fluid GL-1 90 W I used in in before rebuild.

Even though I feel no dragging in 1st, I still wonder about the shallow pilot hole and hte trans shim. I'll just have to reclaim my garage and pull the trans again, and fix that and have a look inside.
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
        X