Red Light Bulbs - R2 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Red Light Bulbs - R2 Hawk

Did any GT Hawks ever come with red bulbs in the instruments?

Sure, the super Hawks had red bulbs, and perhaps others too. They(Studebaker) went to all red bulbs on all cars by 1966.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I thought all of the cars had red dash lights starting in 1964. I know all the 1964's I have owned had them.

Joe
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

Where do you purchase the various size red bulbs?

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
        55 Speedster (in work)
        63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
        64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
        64 Avanti R2 (completed)
        85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
        89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

SI has the red bulbs, $1.00 each. Or you can make your own for a true CASCO. I used the red from the stain glass from the hobby shops, the kind where you place the color liquid on the glass. I used a paper clip around the base of the bulb and then dipped it in the jar and let dry overnight.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
            SI has the red bulbs, $1.00 each. Or you can make your own for a true CASCO. I used the red from the stain glass from the hobby shops, the kind where you place the color liquid on the glass. I used a paper clip around the base of the bulb and then dipped it in the jar and let dry overnight.

Mark

How do you think SI does it?! Just joking...but someone has to coat them for SI so you're paying for their labor.

You can also go to places like Pep Boys and buy red gel caps that are made to cover small light bulbs for this same purpose. Not the CASO way but they do make for an even red glow from the gauges.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The difference is; the '64's have CLEAR windows in the Instrument Clusters or Gauges (on Hawk) to allow the Red light to work, yes they all HAD red bulbs from the Factory, over the years most no longer do.

The Red Bulbs may not work quite as well on '63 and earlier Hawks because they all have robin egg blue windows to "lose" some brightness.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Red nail polish
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                X