Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Were the V8 ornaments chromed in 51?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: Were the V8 ornaments chromed in 51?

My V8 hood and trunk ornaments appear to be made of stainless steel but have some small pits and surface crazing that looks as if they might have been chromed.

I don't know if I should try to sand and polish them as stainless steel, send them to the chrome shop or buy new ones from SI. What are the thoughts of others that have more experience with these pieces?

Thanks,

Jim
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Hi I have NOS ornaments if you are interested , Ed Jones

Comment

Both emblems are stainless.

On the front, the space between the legs of the V 9s painted shiny black.

I have seen SOME (very few) of the rear emblems with the face of the 8 a clear gold color. Most of them are silver stainless with the 2 center 'holes' in the 8 painted black.

Good luck.

John

Comment

The V8 hood emblem is chromed. I just tried to polish one... Took the chrome off.

Comment

Mine are both stainless. The rear V8 with red trim in center and the front with black trim. I suspect, if they could be chromed or stainless, only intense research could reveal where or when the changes occurred. I conjecture either would be correct, as long as they look nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6140029.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1668317Click image for larger version

Name:	P6140025.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1668318
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
          X