A rant if I may.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: A rant if I may.....

I reciently recieved an e-mail/PM mail, thanking me for answering a question.
    I thought, ya...nice guy.

I've answered many PM type e-mails without so much as a thanks or a F...y...

Why is it in this day of the all mighty internet..people have forgotten how (or never knew how) to be nice, be friendly, be considerate, be appreciative....pick just one..!

Kinda makes one not interested in sharing ones ideas or knowledge if it's not ever acknowledged on that side of the house (PM's and e-mails)....one way or another.

Or...am I the only one..?
    Not that I'm thin skined...on the contrary...beat me up if I've screwed up...I can take it. But...

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 06-07-2011, 02:19 PM.

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
    Or...am I the only one..?Mike
    Mike~

It's not you at all. Feedback is a good thing~ it's a pity there's so little of it.

That being said- there are many reasons I'm here less and less these days...
    this just happens to be one of them.
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I would think that someone who goes to the trouble to answer a question off the threads CERTAINLY deserves a hearty thank you.
      Heck, if someone answers a question here on a thread that I find helpful, whether or not it was my inquiry, I try to thank him/her on the thread.

I'd try to contribute more, but others with more experience usually have provided a better response. To all you guys I'm very grateful!
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

Well said, Mike. Your knowledge of Studes , especially on the performance side is outstanding. I have read most of everything you have written on Studebaker performance. I don't think I have personally asked you anything, but I know I will. I appreciate your thoughts and input on these forums, along with most of the folks that add something to make this hobby more fun and exciting.
        Last edited by starliner62; 06-07-2011, 02:47 PM.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Fact of the matter is

Your observance is not just an isolated incident and surprisingly as it seems it happens to me also. Can you believe that.? I hate when that happens. .Especially when selling /shareing so to speak,a nice stude part for a reasonable uninflated, fair or whatever type of price. Like you said, not even a f#%$ you, kiss my arss, nothing. Not even an acknowledgement of person recieving said item. You will get a face to face thank you if handed over in person. Don't feel to bad about it and don't let it change your attitude about helping someone out. , You are correct in assuming that when volunteering info gained through mutual coloboration with fellow hobbyists, on your own , school of hard knocks, It would be nice if recipient would have enouth fetchin up to extend a thank you. Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed. Works good at times. Thanks for being here. You have lowered the bar of conciousness so as to enable the illmannered type to grasp upon the basics of mutual common courtesy. cheers jimmijim QUOTE=Mike Van Veghten;553520]I reciently recieved an e-mail/PM mail, thanking me for answering a question.
          I thought, ya...nice guy.

I've answered many PM type e-mails without so much as a thanks or a F...y...

Why is it in this day of the all mighty internet..people have forgotten how (or never knew how) to be nice, be friendly, be considerate, be appreciative....pick just one..!

Kinda makes one not interested in sharing ones ideas or knowledge if it's not ever acknowledged on that side of the house (PM's and e-mails)....one way or another.

Or...am I the only one..?
          Not that I'm thin skined...on the contrary...beat me up if I've screwed up...I can take it. But...

Mike[/QUOTE]
          Last edited by jimmijim8; 06-07-2011, 04:16 PM.
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Mike,

You have helped me BIG-TIME!! And I hope my appreciation has come through the emails as such. I now have a very nice set of heads and on the way to very nice intake and exhaust manifolds because of your advice and encouragement. I have personal messaged several individuals since joining the site. A lot more have not responded than did. You guys all have a life and responding to a personal message from someone you do not know can be time-consuming and eat into what precious extra time one has. You, on the other hand as well as Carl Purdy and Eric West allow me a few minutes/hours of your lives to help me on my project.

Thank you,
            Charlie D.

Comment

Mike,
              I call it a "ME" world....seems that as long as it is good for "ME" then that is all that matters.
              I have always tried to say "Thank You" and sometimes I feel that is not enough.
              Thanks to you and all of those who give us advice on the forum.
              Benny

Comment

Becoming more unusual to get a "thanks" @ any buisiness - In my younger days, if a customer was not thanked, I would no longer have a job. Is it only the culture, or the resposibility of businesses to insist on something more than ...."Have A Nice Day" from their employees!!!!
                Paul TK

Comment

I don't normally send pm's because invariably, my questions get answered right here on the forum, and I'm always grateful and
                  try to convey my thanks and appreciation. Mike and several other knowledeable individuals on this forum have saved me a ton of money over the
                  years because they have helped me resolve issues that I would otherwise have to get diagnosed by a local mechanic. We novices are indeed
                  very fortunate to have access to such a wealth of knowlege and expertise.

Thanks,
                  Joe D.

Comment

Every time I post to this forum I try to say Thank You. There has been only a few times that I actually knew an answer and posted...when I post a question it is nearly always answered. When I look over the forum ...4 times a week or so...I usallay always pick up on something I didn't know. For the information, advise, laughs and all...thanks to all of you. Without this forum it would be a lot easier to give up on Studebaker problems and issues...a lot more vehicles would end up just rusting away.
                    Ray Stewart SDC
                    51 pick-up
                    57 silver hawk
                    62 lark

Comment

I hear you, Mike. I just try to chalk it up to less and less manners- and appreciation of others.

I refuse to let it stop me from helping when I can for the sake of others; most are appreciative, and do say thanks.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Agree as well. I suppose everyone is so accustomed to instant gratification and instant answers from the internet that they don't realize that some answers require a fair amount of research (ie, parts books and shop manuals) -- plus the investment in time for some of us slow typers to type in the response. Anyway, Mike, I always read your responses with great interest and have learned a lot.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                        X