Outer Control Arm Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Outer Control Arm Bushings

I am rebuilding the front end of my '63 cruiser R-1 and have a question about the out control arm bushings. I am using the spreader tool per the shop manual. After I torque the bushings to spec the suspension becomes very stiff. It is difficult but not impossible to move the suspension up and down with a long screwdriver. I do not have the front spring in so there is no weight on the suspension. Is this normal? The manual says the suspension should not bind.

hmmh

Given that outer pins and bushings + the inner control arm shaft bushings are all new {good} installed correctly should be moving with very little restriction. What you describe as excessive resistance to movement without springs installed may indicate that you might want to try that spreader tool thingy again and make sure also that the inner {rubber/metal bushing} retainer washers with bolts are not torqued to specs until the spring is in and the weight of the car is on the suspension. Hang loose as others will chime in. good luck jimmijim
    Originally posted by gmax336 View Post
    I am rebuilding the front end of my '63 cruiser R-1 and have a question about the out control arm bushings. I am using the spreader tool per the shop manual. After I torque the bushings to spec the suspension becomes very stiff. It is difficult but not impossible to move the suspension up and down with a long screwdriver. I do not have the front spring in so there is no weight on the suspension. Is this normal? The manual says the suspension should not bind.
    Last edited by jimmijim8; 06-06-2011, 02:07 PM.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Second Jim's advice - put the springs in, then do the bushings. Also, you must tighten them evenly -- two turns on one side, two turns on the left side, so that they go on the pin equally and the pin is centered between the caps. If you screw one cap all the way on and then put the other one on, the pin will be all the way to one side and all screwed up.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for the input. I assembled the control arms without the springs so that I can be sure everything is properly assembled before putting them under tension. I will try loosening the bushings and retightening them again. Should the locking pin for the bushing pin be driven home before the bushings are torqued? This is what the manual recommends. It seems that if the bushing pin is off center when the locking pin is driven home, this could cause some binding.

Comment

Always use the manual when not quite sure too. jimmijim
          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
          X