'53-'55 carb linkages question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: '53-'55 carb linkages question

Any idea why these had spring linkages instead of solid and, can a solid linkage be adapted without changing the bell crank? Those springs are now unobtanium.
    Last edited by rockne10; 06-05-2011, 04:20 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

The spring linkage was so that through the throttle movement it would act as a solid rod, when it reached the end of the movement, and you wanted to downshift overdrive, the spring would stretch to allow the switch to be made.

There are later throttle linkages with a spring built inside them that may work. I have one on my '55 with automatic, don't know how it would work with OD. I had to make an extension for it to fit.

Edit: since yours is an auto, I would suggest acquiring a more modern throttle rod and adapting it to your engine. Sorry, I don't have a pix of mine.
    Last edited by Tom Bredehoft; 06-06-2011, 05:58 AM. Reason: Add'l Information.

Comment

Mine is with automatic trans.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

My 53' (Champion-AT) is a solid linkage. The only spring just sits on top of the rod to help keep it from binding up.

If you need a particular spring size, you may be able to cut a bigger one down. You can get a generic set of 'throttle return springs' at almost any of the big box (O'Reilly's has them for sure) stores for a few bucks.

Comment

I have opposing srpings on the 55 259 with 2 barrel. I had to adjust my throttle linkage to the max to get the full range of movment. Mine has automatic. S.I. sells springs, but I went through a set as suggested by DavidValk and found ones that work without killing my foot ligaments. Good luck.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I bought an adjustable throttle linkage from JEGGS( its listed for a 67-69 Camero)for my 63 Hawk,the stock 2bbl linkage didn't have enough adjustment when I converted to a 4bbl.It looks & works great...

Comment

Someone had cobbled a rod type throttle on my '55 President. When I went to SASCO (before they closed) Dave told me to use the '56 throttle rod (they used them as a substitute). My is a 4 barrel with 3 speed overdrive. Works fine.
              sigpic
              55 President Deluxe
              64 Commander
              66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
              X